Old 05-11-2014, 10:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Ciment Fondu / Refractory Castable Question

The trouble with unfired clay is that it shrinks. If too high a proportion is added, casting shrinkage can create cracks in the casting over the mould unless the casting is free to shrink away from its mould.. Fired clay (grog) won't shrink, so does not have this problem, you can add a much higher proportion.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Apprentice

Thanks guys. Am I right in my understanding that mich used only sand to cast his shoestring dome? Is it possible to get away with this ?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:59 AM
Apprentice

The safest, strongest mix you can use for your oven is 5 parts fine grog (0 to 1ml) 1 part kiln dried sand (ie. block paving jointing sand) and 1 part cement fondue this mix will outlast any home brew style motar
Old 05-12-2014, 03:06 AM
Apprentice

If your having problems finding grog this link is of a great company that sell it cheap and will dispatch to you in France they also sell fondue cheap hope it helps 25KG Fire Brick Grog to make Refractory Furnace Kiln Pizza Oven | eBay
Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you are only building a small oven, just go and buy yourself some castable refractory from your local refractory supplier. It is designed for castings on moulds, will not shrink, contains the correct burnout fibres, will cope with the temperatures fired to,will handle thermal shock well and mixes up to a good workable mix. Any recipe you come up with may work in some of these areas, but also may not work so well. For a large oven where the mathematics of volume start taking over the proprietary castable refractory starts to become an expensive option.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
If you are only building a small oven, just go and buy yourself some castable refractory from your local refractory supplier. It is designed for castings on moulds, will not shrink, contains the correct burnout fibres, will cope with the temperatures fired to,will handle thermal shock well and mixes up to a good workable mix. Any recipe you come up with may work in some of these areas, but also may not work so well. For a large oven where the mathematics of volume start taking over the proprietary castable refractory starts to become an expensive option.
I'd love to do that only I don't know of any refractable suppliers, never mind a local one! I haven't come across such a product in France at all!
Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Apprentice

Just try the link I sent you they stock all things refractory and will shop to you in France they are very helpful
Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Apprentice

Ship not shop ha
Old 05-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for that - appreciate it.

I can find chamotte here - it was hard to find and the best price I have is 75 for 50kg. I guess it's not too bad compared to the price of buying a pre fabricated oven core.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Apprentice

thats about the same price it sells for here where there are numerious places selling it on the net so go for it what price did you get on the fondue cement?