Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Ceramic egg pizza ovens - WFO & coal cooking?

Look at the book "Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way" by Francis Mallmann, to get a feel for top and bottom fires. If you have a spare head of cattle and you're ever in need of a way to cook it, he's got your recipe.

Chris
Old 04-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Serf

Greetings to Germany, bb870!
Yes, I do love my big green egg! I use it at least 4 times every week. It is so easy, and gets to whatever temperature that I want, so fast.
I have discovered (through the wonderful Big Green Egg Forum, at the company's website)
that a way to "cheat", to get to a high temp even faster, is to use a propane or MAP gas powered torch or weed burner...
I have been using one I bought very cheaply, and can easily get the oven to 700 degrees in about 15 minutes, though I do wait another 20 minutes, just so the mass of ceramic, the pizza stone, etc. all soak up all that heat...
Trust me, the cheese (and everything else, melts JUST fine!)

Hey, check out one of my current favorite videos!
It's real "American" type music (bluegrass...) I hope you enjoy watching it!!!!
Let me know!
RicklessssssssS

Check it out here: Fred's Music and Barbecue Supply
Old 06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Serf

I just came across this thread and had to comment on my experience with cooking pizza on the Big Green Egg. About ten years ago, I fell in love with pizza cooked in a WFO and very quickly decided that I had to have my own WFO. This was well before the FB forum was available to offer insight and guidance. I used the resources available at the time and built a very versatile and efficient oven. It has served me well over the years and provided the setting for many fine pizza parties. About two years ago I got my first ceramic cooker, a BGE. It did not take me long to start cooking pizza in the egg. I have to tell you that the quality is fabulous. I can cook a pie in less than 2 minutes and it tastes just as good as the ones I cook in the WFO. However, it just is not as sexy to cook in the BGE. There is nothing like the atmosphere around cooking for a crowd in a WFO. As a result, if I am cooking for my wife and myself, I use the egg. If I am cooking for a crowd, I use the WFO. Both pizza are great.

Tags
ceramic, egg, fired, oven, wood