Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:09 AM
Peasant

Default Re: A castable Barrel Oven with Refractory or Homebrew mix

"here are a couple of reasons my oven does not have lots of smoke staining on the front, in spite of the extremely shallow entry (the flue gallery is only 4" deep) 1. and 2. a funnel like entry to the flue pipe."

David,

Great thoughts,

1) "(the flue gallery is only 4" deep)"
This where the left/right brain collide . If you can, walk me through this one.

I am trying to picture the "funnel line entry" so I borrowed an image of the web.
2) In a mold, are you molding it upwards from a smaller diameter to larger or vice versa.

2) "adequate flue pipe diameter"
My thoughts were on an 8" flue, but I want to square it off, to keep everything symmetric.
I will create a mold for the flue (using the homebrew mix)

PS: Do you have pizza parties and sell pizza or do you put that baby on a trailer and take it elsewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
A castable Barrel Oven with Refractory or Homebrew mix-download.jpg  
Old 01-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saovicente View Post

Any thoughts on the Whitacre Greer fireclay.
They make some of the best firebricks around, I see no reason why their Fireclay is any different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 01-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The greater resistance to damage on drying displayed by the PAr-fiber-containing material indicates that a more severe heating rate can be applied to the material, thereby lessening the overall time needed for the completion of heat-up.[/B]
PAr refers to the polyamarid fibres not polypropylene (PP) , which melt at a lower temperature.

"Two mechanisms are responsible for the benefits conferred by these fibers: an increase in permeability caused by fiber melting, thermal degradation or shrinkage, as in the case of polypropylene (PP) fibers; and mechanical reinforcement, which results especially from the increased energy dissipated during crack propagation, as when polyaramid (PAr) fibers are used." paper suggests that the performance is improved if the PAr fibres are used instead of pp fibres."

Look we're splitting hairs (fibres) here. The bottom line is that the addition of fibres can improve strength and drying. Different fibres work in different ways.

Yes it is interesting, thanks for the discussion.

Last edited by david s; 01-25-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
"here are a couple of reasons my oven does not have lots of smoke staining on the front, in spite of the extremely shallow entry (the flue gallery is only 4" deep) 1. and 2. a funnel like entry to the flue pipe."

David,

Great thoughts,

1) "(the flue gallery is only 4" deep)"
This where the left/right brain collide . If you can, walk me through this one.

I am trying to picture the "funnel line entry" so I borrowed an image of the web.
2) In a mold, are you molding it upwards from a smaller diameter to larger or vice versa.

2) "adequate flue pipe diameter"
My thoughts were on an 8" flue, but I want to square it off, to keep everything symmetric.
I will create a mold for the flue (using the homebrew mix)

PS: Do you have pizza parties and sell pizza or do you put that baby on a trailer and take it elsewhere.
Sandro,

pics attached explain what I meant. It is quite simple to make, once you've cast your oven, then you build a sand form (this mix should contain 10% water by volume and throw in a little powdered clay to help bind it) in front of the entry and trowel the mix over it.

My oven is only 21" but has a 5" flue diam. Obviously a larger oven needs a larger diam flue pipe, but this depends on the size oven you choose. From around 28" -36" you'd need a 6" flue and 42"+ an 8" (I'm talking round ovens here so work out similar chamber volume for other shapes)

I have a mobile oven on a trailer which I hire out for people to use and I also cater for the occasional party with it myself. I have the same sized oven installed permanently at home as well for our own private use.
Attached Thumbnails
A castable Barrel Oven with Refractory or Homebrew mix-p6160027.jpg   A castable Barrel Oven with Refractory or Homebrew mix-p6160028.jpg   A castable Barrel Oven with Refractory or Homebrew mix-p6160029.jpg   A castable Barrel Oven with Refractory or Homebrew mix-p6160030.jpg  

Last edited by david s; 01-25-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: thought of more
Old 01-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Peasant

Once again David, I thank you.

You have been great from the start in sharing your wealth of information.

I will have a few more questions as I move forward in making the pizza oven as soon as the fire dept. gives the green light.

Once that happens, I will start a new thread detailing my journey as others like yourself have done before me .

Thank you,

Sandro
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Peasant

Gentlemen,

I have found a supplier which will provide me with most of the items needed to get started (fireclay, & bricks (Whitacre), Lime,sand, peastone and more goodies. I have setup an account to get a contractor's price and I am on my way.

I am still looking for a supplier for the polypropylene fibres. The needles have been located on Ebay (found the info on this Forum )

I have added two *.pdf on the bricks for your thoughts One for red, the other for buff (both are low-duty). It is other area in which I have read conflicting opinions on (Low duty VS Medium Duty). I will be using the bricks for the hearth pad. I will be casting the dome.

Let me know what you think,

Best Regards,

Sandro
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Product-Data-Buff-Firebrick.pdf (912.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf Product-Data-Red-Firebrick.pdf (874.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 08:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can get poly fiber here....

Fishstone - Fishstone - Concrete Countertop Supplies

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 01-28-2014, 07:47 AM
Peasant

Thanks Stonecutter...You simplified a matter I had taken all over the place. You pointed me to AR Glass Fiber, which I had thought could not be the same product.

All this this, I had previously done research on AR without a thought of it having a separate naming (tunnel vision syndrome)

Well, I will save a few dollars since I have two bags of AR Fiber (3/4) in my shed. I use it in my back coats for GFRC mixes.

At times one tends to over think things....

Thanks again

PS: I have dealt with Fishstone and I can vouch for their great customer service and cost.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 AM
Peasant

Gentlemen,

I have read much of the success of the 3:1:1:1 and also the need for a dense, denser mix for the dome and I had a thought.

Your thoughts on adding 10% of VF-774 to the mix to tighten the bond between the Portland and sand, therefore creating a denser, cohesive mix.

With the add-ons of the AR fiber, needles and VF-774, it would make for one tight , harder baby. (unless there is an adverse affect from the lime and fireclay...hmmmmm (maybe not)

Thank you,

Sandro
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Forton_VF_774_TB.pdf (481.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Saovicente; 01-28-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Gentlemen,

I have read much of the success of the 3:1:1:1 and also the need for a dense, denser mix for the dome and I had a thought.

Your thoughts on adding 10% of VF-774 to the mix to tighten the bond between the Portland and sand, therefore creating a denser, cohesive mix.

With the add-ons of the AR fiber, needles and VF-774, it would make for one tight , harder baby. (unless there is an adverse affect from the lime and fireclay...hmmmmm (maybe not)

Thank you,

Sandro
I didn't see any TDS for VF-774, but I'm going to have to assume that it will only benefit the curing process. I am pretty sure that the polymer does not have refractory qualities and it will burn out of the casting during the dry out schedule ( not the cure of the material)

I would save the Vf for concrete counters or other castings that are not subjected to heat above 200*

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin