Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Cast Refractory Pizza Oven Build

Been experimenting with some dough lately, and have obtained a sourdough from a pizza restaurant. Today I made a pizza with it and the recipe I used was 100% 00 flower, 65% water, 18% sourdough, and 1% salt.

After mixing, I autolyzed for 20 mins, and kneeded for 8 mins. I left in fridge overnight, and cut into balls and let rize for 3 hours.

Although the dough was too stretchy and extremely tough to handle, this is the first time I get the crust to get charred. I usually get the crust cooked, but was always very white.

I'm very pleased that I got the char I wanted, even though on the bottom it was burnt on some sides.

I think next time I could try 60% hydration and leave the balls to rize for a longer time.. and maybe not spread the coal on the oven floor for too long ..

Any thoughts on this??
Attached Thumbnails
Cast Refractory Pizza Oven Build-img_2920.jpg  
Old 09-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My thoughts Are that it's making me hungry. My pizzas often have a little charring round the edges too. It is characteristics of wood fired. I like it. Your pizza looks perfect to me.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Master Builder

Looks good to me too. Charring is more a function of your oven conditions. Cook more pizzas at various temps. Your dough is 65% h20 and 18% SD. It's hard to say what your actual h2O% is, but it is definitely higher than 65%. Getting it back to down to the 62% h2O level will make it more manageable. "Tough" that's strange... higher hydration levels should make it lighter and looser. But I certainly am not a SD person. Maybe look at some SD threads for recipes.