Old 07-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Cast Oven on Trailer Questions

brings back so many memories...
looking good! can't wait to see the finished project.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:46 PM
Peasant

I haven't taken it out on the road yet as I just finished the drying fires. I will take it for a short spin soon. As far as the axle goes it's only 2000 lbs. Once I'm all done I will be at the payload capacity. If I start using it where I do have to trailer it I most likely will up the axle and tires. As far as tongue weight it is very well balanced. I can easily lift the tongue with one hand. I'de be surprised if it has more than 40lbs of weight on it. I was very careful about centering the oven. I may try a full fire and pizza tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Peasant

Joey, it's because of your great post I felt I coiled tackle this. Thanks for your great post.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Peasant

would a 3500 lbs axle setup be more applicable for a build, here's some info that might be useful. Again good job, factoryrat
Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com
HowStuffWorks "How Tongue Weight Works"
Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 PM
Peasant

I think it all depends on what kind of setup you want. I don't plan on going to any events to sell pizza. If you have this in mind you may even need to go to double axle depending on what the board of health specifies must be on hand at an event. My parents are vendors so I am well aware of what goes on and my trailer was more for personal use. I think you can get away with a 3500 LB axle. It actually depends more on the cargo weight of the trailer since that is what you will be adding.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Be careful the drawbar doesn't go skywards. Mine is also really well balanced, but on two occasions, rolling it around sloping driveways it tipped back. Not really a great drama as mine is less than 200Kgs and is really well secured into the trailer with chains, but not so healthy for the bodywork on the bottom of my trailer. maybe an extra jockey wheel on the back of the trailer would be good insurance.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Journeyman

Yeah, I had a kickstand on the back of the trailer because it would tip backwards so easily if anyone leaned on the tail end. I ended up installing a folding table to the rear of mine so I could unhitch it and not worry about it flipping backwards.

great project! show us some of those fires!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Laborer

Great thread Djag, do you have any updates and pictures?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Peasant

Fired it up for the first Pizza's. The oven gets much hotter than my bread oven. A lot of differences. Material, insulation, design. My first pie was done in 30 seconds. Top was perfect and bottom was a little dark but nothing you couldn't eat. Floor was way too hot and took forever to cool down but it cooks pizza way better than my bread oven. It was cooking pies well under 90 seconds. I never had to recharge the floor but I only made 10 pies. I baked 6 loaves of ciabatta once I got the floor down to around 600 (still too hot but I'm not very patient) they came out great. Only took about 12 minutes which is crazy fast. I do have pics of those.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...g?t=1284941611
Old 09-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try throwing some semolina on the floor of the oven. If it goes black (and probably catches fire) in 2 seconds, then it's too hot. 3 seconds= perfect. 4 seconds= not hot enough. No need for fancy temp equip. If the floor is too hot try placing the first pizzas closer to the entry where it will be cooler. If you need to cook the top more you can hold the pizza up close to the top of the dome with your peel.