Old 02-11-2010, 01:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cast Oven on Trailer Questions

Wouldn't making dough constitute food preparation. I don't have the food licence thing and only hire the oven privately. Generally people do their own cooking.Maybe when I give up the day job I might start cooking food for sale.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Serf

hI davids, my name is Toto, i am looking arround because I want to build a oven-trailer here in spain. After some investigation I decided I will use a one pice dome they sell here is called peruela. is the shape of the oven made out with cooked mud, I donīt know if my english is that good right now but I think you get the idea.. this I want to set on a trailer... the question is how? and then cover it with some aislant material... how did you hold together the dome with the oven`s floor? I guess it has to be solid or bumps will crack it.. i read you hold this platform (oven cradle?) to the trailer, but how do you hold the oven to the platform?
How big is your oven?
saludos
ToTo
Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My oven supporting slab sits inside the steel cradle which is made from galvanized 4 x50 mm steel angle. Its weight keeps it in place. Search for mobile ovens on the forum, I've made numerous replies about this subject and how I went about it. Remember that all of our ovens are a compromise because of the factors involved. Weight, size, cost, efficiency, time, fuel consumption, etc.
Dave
Old 02-14-2010, 10:04 AM
Serf

Ola Toto!

I need to understand why you are wanting to use masonry and or mud to build your oven, which you want to pull around on a trailer. Have you heard of the earthquake In Haiti?

Masonry and mud are very fragile materials. Perhaps you would explain the purpose in putting the oven on a trailer. Maybe another answer is possible.

It might be that a sole plate could be cast iron and the dome fitted to the cast iron sole plate. There are more than one way to skin a cat.

When you write the word "peruela" , did you actually mean pergola?

I just posted a web site that might have the answer. It is Forni a legna Pizza Party . They have an oven that they have mounted on a trailer. The oven cost only 520 Euros and it is in Italy. You could build a trailer to attach to your bicycle and then you could obtain it yourself. They will also ship it to you but then you would not be able to see Firenza.

You need to examine your business plan. Are you looking only for ambiance? Are you seeking a special taste? Do you live near Soria? If you do, I have a mission for you.

Ciao ,

Dieter
Old 02-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Peasant

Does lowering the dome height hurt you in anyway except that you need to lower your entrance height? It will be purely a pizza oven and I am just trying to cut down on weight. If I can get away with a 14" to 15" dome with a 8.5 to 9.5 entrance that would be fine as long as I am not hurting the performance.

Also, if you go with a higher Alumina content does it take longer to heat your oven since the max temp is higher? Im just trying to see if their is a ratio of Alumina to heat up time.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The main disadvantage of the small oven is the lack of interior floor area and the larger (by proportion) chunk of oven wall lost to the door opening. I was really worried about getting it off the trailer because of the weight. But with my system I think my set up would easily handle another 50% weight so I could have made it a bit bigger.If you have a tractor with hydraulics for instance, you could move it on and off that way. The smaller the combustion chamber is the more difficult it is to make it fire well. I found this out when making pottery kilns, although I have no complaints about how my oven fires. The dome being closer to your pizza could actually be an advantage, because it would get more radiated heat from the top of the dome.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by toto View Post
hI davids, my name is Toto, i am looking arround because I want to build a oven-trailer here in spain. After some investigation I decided I will use a one pice dome they sell here is called peruela. is the shape of the oven made out with cooked mud, I donīt know if my english is that good right now but I think you get the idea.. this I want to set on a trailer... the question is how? and then cover it with some aislant material... how did you hold together the dome with the oven`s floor? I guess it has to be solid or bumps will crack it.. i read you hold this platform (oven cradle?) to the trailer, but how do you hold the oven to the platform?
How big is your oven?
saludos
ToTo
Toto,
le mande un email.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

My oven dome is held to the floor by refractory mortar and the outer shell attaches to its supporting slab trogh the adhesion of the cement render mix and I ground into the supporting slab with an angle grinder to help it anchor itself.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by djag12 View Post
Hi. I have been following Joeys cast oven build very close as I will be doing one soon. My question to all is do you think a solid oven is better than doing a segmented oven for a trailer? I would like to hear thoughts on the pros and cons of each. Unlike Joey who I believe is building it on a trailer so when he moves he can take it I will e using mine on the road (hopefully a lot). If there is no issue with the solid type poor that is what I would like to do (easier). I can seperate the top and bottom as Joey did. Please all thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Diane
I am assuming when you wrote "poor", that you meant pour.

If the alternative is a dome of bricks is the alternative, then a poured monolithic dome would be better, but you need to be concerned about cracks, which will occur unless there is reinforcement. I would suggest fiberglass of the type that is put in sidewalk concrete and it would not hurt to also put in some type of steel such as wire fencing but you have to keep it from being exposed, especially to the inner side. There should be some aggregate in the slurry that you produce as well as plasticizers.

Unless you are able to secure the dome to the sole plate in a manner that will prevent movement, which may be impossible, I would suggest placing rubber insulators of the type used for setting large plate glass windows between the dome and the sole plate when transporting the oven. Naturally, it goes without saying that these insulators must be removed prior to firing the oven.

You should accept the fact that cracks will occur but unless they pull apart the effectiveness of the oven should not be affected.

tschuss!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Serf

Hurry!

Here is an oven on a trailer that is going to be auctioned off tomorrow.

Fast Track Auction.com