Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Capt Jon's Cob Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I'll be watching this one...my currant oven was going to be cob, but I went with brick. A cob oven will happen someday, possibly the spring.
I'm just the opposite, I wanted brick!
Cost/time/tool prohibited at this time.
I'm happy so far though. The pies yesterday turned out great for our first try and it's kinda rustic.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking at your earlier pictures, it doesn't appear that you have any insulation under the floor brick, or room for insulation on the sides of the oven itself. This will be a big problem. Cob needs to be insulated the same as conventional refractory material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 09-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This book has a ton of useful info on cob/earth oven building, especially with inexpensive material. It's an interesting read too.

Build Your Own Earth Oven: A Low-Cost Wood-Fired Mud Oven, Simple Sourdough Bread, Perfect Loaves, 3rd Edition: Kiko Denzer, Hannah Field, Alan Scott: 9780967984674: Amazon.com: Books

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can do them like that, but laying them at a 45 degree angle to the opening of the oven is a much better way of doing it and worth the extra effort of cutting them. As laid, they will be constantly fighting your peel.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

And FYI, there are 3 or 4 places in Houston that sell firebrick and refractory cement, although I won't vouch for their knowledge on the application for ovens.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Capt Jon
Curious now! The hollow in the stand did you do the thermal mass thing. Crusher dust or compressed sand . Or do you go new school and do the insulation path.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Looking at your earlier pictures, it doesn't appear that you have any insulation under the floor brick, or room for insulation on the sides of the oven itself. This will be a big problem. Cob needs to be insulated the same as conventional refractory material.
That was just a photo of "before". Checking to see how they laid. Photos coming of the insulation.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Peasant

OK, here we go…
So I mentioned that I did a lot of reading. Some was well written, some you had to read between the lines a bit. I was leaning towards the “earthy” point of view on a few things. The insulation was one of them.

So what we have is a layer of straw, layer of empty beer bottles, layer of straw and the sand. I was amazed how much sand went in there once I added, leveled, packed, repeated. It was roughly 3 1/2 full wheelbarrows of sand.

On the bottles, I won’t be one of the shy ones a says that I collected the bottles from my neighbors. Although it wasn’t one session, a lot of work went into this little venture and hence, several medicinal liquid therapy sessions were necessary in the evenings immediately thereafter. OK, may be one or two was from a neighbor as we stared at the work accomplished that day.

The last image is the bricks laid in place after all the packing. Now if one was to zoom in on the picture real close, you would see that there is a slight drop of not even a quarter of an inch once you come in the entry onto the cooking floor. It didn’t stay that way...
The following weekend I had purchased fire clay (a later story) and had all week for that little drop to eat on me. I knew that it wouldn’t be a major issue but, most probably a little inconvenience. I pulled all the brick off and brought up the sand to level the day I mixed a bit of cob for around the floor base to secured them in place.
Thought I would mention it before one you eagle eyes caught that!
Attached Thumbnails
Capt Jon's Cob Oven-img_0303.jpg   Capt Jon's Cob Oven-img_0307.jpg   Capt Jon's Cob Oven-img_0308.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
And FYI, there are 3 or 4 places in Houston that sell firebrick and refractory cement, although I won't vouch for their knowledge on the application for ovens.
The guys at Able definitely had done it before. Although the bulk of their business was taking care of refineries, they were more than happy to sell small quantities. I knew there had to be more places that sold the materials. Guess I was just looking in the wrong places....isn't that an old country song?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Peasant

Time to make a sand castle.
You know, I really didn’t run across any good information on forming a chimney. They just seem to appear magically on some peoples builds. I thought about this one quite a bit. Right or wrong, what I came up with worked fine (for the most part). I bought a piece of PVC pipe, lubed it with Vaseline (leave it alone guys) and then wrap it with plastic wrap. It slid right out with no issues at all. The issues I did have in this area, I will describe with the proper pictures later.
After the sand build, rolling with a 2 X 4 to smooth, I covered with wet newspaper. Oh, I did lay newspaper down on the brick to aid in having less sand to clean out of my brick floor cracks.
Yea...that didn't really help much.
Attached Thumbnails
Capt Jon's Cob Oven-img_0312.jpg   Capt Jon's Cob Oven-img_0313.jpg   Capt Jon's Cob Oven-img_0314.jpg  
bigdavenorcott likes this.