Old 12-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: building the oven

C5- Consider that bet placed. Please mail the money to... Thanks for the info on pictures. I won't feel like such a techno newbie now.

Mkingles- Around 600. The concrete pavers make a 4x4 landing. I did place a layer of clay pavers (bricks) to start with under the whole thing because I was worried about the pavers failing due to heat. Over that went a piece of 2x3 insulation board, then another layer of pavers. So, basically the cooking area is 2x3, and I probably could do 3 pizzas at a time, but I usually only do 1, sometimes 2. The long narrow shape and the small opening make moving pizzas tricky. I could've went smaller in size, but we had a lot of pavers, so at the time, we just went with it. Looking back on it, I should have put the pavers on edge instead of flat to have more mass on the floor, but it seems to work just fine, as you can see. One of the downsides of these clay pavers, was they were not a good size to work with. Two bricks on edge did not equal one laying perpendicular to it, but at a cost of $50....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Peasant

yea! some times you have to just go for it and the heck with the rules. there are videos on the web of women cooking beautiful bread in things that look like holes in the floor using grass clippings.
I say Rock On! to you.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Stephen! It doesn't look too pretty, but makes great pizza!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Peasant

Hey Tman those pizzas sure look good not a pretty oven but it sure looks like it works in a pinch !
Old 03-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Journeyman

Hasn't been fired up in awhile... too cold on the days when I wanted to do it. I may give a go this weekend!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Peasant

Awesome! My Casa2G was just delivered loaded on the truck
Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Journeyman

Well, after 7 months it's still standing and I put it to work yesterday.

It takes about an hour to clear the ceiling and get it ready for pizza. I also tried Reinhart's country classic dough. It went well, and was super smooth to work with. Surprisingly though, my wife and I both didn't like it as much as our Wolfgang Puck recipe. I'll start some experimenting with different hydrations to see if their is a happy medium.
I am starting to realize that in this fashion, it's basically just a pizza oven. I'll need to figure something for when we actually have money.
Attached Thumbnails
building the oven-oven1.jpg   building the oven-pizzaq.jpg   building the oven-pizza2.jpg  

Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Apprentice

Good to see that thing is still going!!

At this rate, you may NEVER build a permanent oven!! LOL!

CB

Old 07-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Journeyman

I haven't posted to my own thread but I have been using the oven which still stands today in the same shape it was in previously. I can get it up and keep it at 725*... I actually would like o cook hotter than that, but it does have it's limitations. The humidity here has been terrible.. hit 88% one day.
I have found the Forno Bravo dough recipe to be very good. I need to find some 00 flour to really give it a go.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Peasant

I love this oven! It shows that a man can jump on the moon, if he really wants to®!