Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: building the oven

Cool, and all of us have been obsessing about curing fires and driving the moisture out of our ovens. 0 to cooking pizza in 4 hours- awesome
Eric
Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Journeyman

After (almost) 3 months, this thing still stands. We've had multiple pizza parties with it and it has performed amazingly well. The last one we did was the day after Thanksgiving... 22 pizzas, 5 hours of cooking (2 for heat up, although it didn't need that much), many people fed! Interestingly, I measured the temperature of the oven the next day (I had blocked up the door with bricks). It measured 90*F inside, which doesn't sound like much, but you have to take into consideration that there is no insulation, it was 17 hours since the last log went on the fire, AND it got to 10*F overnight (it was 15*F outside at time of reading).
Old 12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Laborer

I don't know if this happens to everyone, but I have been cooking in my wood fired oven for 2 months now.

After about 2 "sane firings", I stuff the oven full of wood, and lit it. I had to wait 4 hours before the temperature came down enough to do anything except incinerate my pizza and remove the hair on my knuckles. Hot enough? Ever see a lump of dough turn black in about 30 seconds?

I was watching the cooking show about the young guy living "la dulce vita" in Italy. They showed a mens cooking society on the show, and they showed the first 2 pizzas coming out of the oven black.

On Thanksgiving, I just had to stick my face close to the oven and peer in over the door. My wife was quite upset with me because I singed a few locks of my hair.

Ah well, we learn slowly.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:45 AM
Apprentice

Talking Re: building the oven

Too funny! That's a good story.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Journeyman

I just realized I haven't put up any pizza photos from my other parties...

I know everybody thinks it's going to collapse, but it hasn't moved from day 1.

Now, the pizza;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tman1; 12-23-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Journeyman

Now I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong/differently than before... but it'll have to wait
I got the pictures fixed, now I need to figure how everybody else gets the thumbnail size to explode when clicked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tman1; 12-23-2010 at 11:46 AM. Reason: adjusted pictures in previous post
Old 12-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Journeyman

I have no idea, at the moment, how to create the thumbnails at the bottom of the post, so, for now, here's a few more of another pizza party.
Again, a picture from the front to show it's not going to cave in... at least not without any help.

and a before & after of a white pizza...

Old 12-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Journeyman

I should add that the metal bar across the top is there just for a piece of metal I had on top to act as a temporary roof to keep water off. I didn't have that there to start, and I noticed a hearth temp problem with that pizza party. Sure, enough, the piece of insulation underneath my hearth bricks was wet.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Journeyman

Tman

This is a really cool oven that is like the energizer bunny. I would have placed a c note that a failure would have happened by the end of the fire!

As for the thumbnails, use the reply button under the last posting. The click on the paperclip (next to the smiley face) and upload the pictures one by one. It will take some time. You can only upload 5 pics as well.

Keep it up

Follow my build
Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Laborer

What's the brick count for the oven?

How big is the floor cooking surface (about) -- or how many 14" pizza's can you cook at a time?