Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Serf

Default Re: Build a geodesic oven out of stainless steel

I think a geodesic polished up would look great but a tunnel type oven would be much easier less cutting and pressing .I intent to cook pizza and the odd roast.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I was envisioning insulation directly on the SS sheet.
You have an insulated steel oven in your kitchen. Many of us have built brick ovens from being unhappy with the results of same.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The problem with the kitchen oven is maximum temperature. If I could get my in house oven to 750 degrees, I would not have built a WFO.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
If I could get my in house oven to 750 degrees, I would not have built a WFO.
You just need to switch to propane and increase the orifice size. Unless you are electric, then go to 480volt / 3 phase. The power in this video should get it up to temp with no problem.

480 volt 3-phase Arc Flash Demonstration

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The unspoken caveat was that I do not want to burn my house down or die from electrocution.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Apprentice

I consider my design crackproof (geodesic dome, 3000 deg castable w/no mortar to allow for expansion)
edschmidt
Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
The unspoken caveat was that I do not want to burn my house down or die from electrocution.
Dude... That was a joke. That's why I inserted winks and eeks.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Journeyman

Being a sheet metal worker I've thought about this for a while as a mobile oven. My idea was to build an inner and outer shell of stainless then fill the void with loose fireclay and leave a vent on top for steam. I would not do it as a geodesic dome, on top of the fact that I want a low dome oven itcwould lead to a ridiculous amunt of welding.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Apprentice

My $0.02 is that with adequate insulation it would conceivably work, but the bigger problem would be due to the reflective nature of the steel. The amount of heat directed at your food food would spike tremendously, and proportionately to the amount of live fire in the oven at any given moment. You'll go from screaming hot and burning your food to inadequate heat to cook through thoroughly in a very short time. The benefit of the mineral-based refractory is a nice, smooth, consistent release of stored energy. Also, the amount of radiant energy beaming out of the door way would be insane while your trying to saturate the thermal mass behind the steel.

I like to work with steel too, and it would be cool to build something of that nature, but I really don't think the end product would perform well - meaning being tricky and tempernmental to work with.

Just another un-proven thought...

Regards,

Ken
Old 06-23-2010, 02:16 AM
Serf

Not happy to hear that but that is life I can see the logic in what Ken is saying .Here in OZ there are a number of non traditional WFO makers like Koala Ovens,Cub Wood Fired Pizza Oven&The Wildcat 6000etc Google any these and they are all steel lined but have a fire box underneath .So not sure on where to go from here.Maybe a tunnel vault type oven with radius end s/s out side and may be a cast-able inside . I have not mentioned I want it no be a able to he moved .