Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: brickless dome on a shoestring oven

The material is porous so oxygen still gets in. from my experience with kilns anything ferrous that is not stainless steel rusts very badly, is accelerated by the heat and is the major cause of kiln failure.Door hinges fall off, frame disintegrates etc. If rebar worked in industry then it would be used in preference to stainless steel. However, I should think you will have no worries for at least ten years, so it is probably not an issue.

Last edited by david s; 11-11-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ah, okay. Thanks.

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Serf

David, I was thinking about building an oven similar to this. If you think the rebar frame will rust, any thought on another material to use to help support the dome, besides stainless steel?. Do you think it will hold up without and reinforcement?
Old 11-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maybe chicken wire, but again, being not stainless and the wire being thin it would probably corrode faster. I think zinc melts at around 400c so who knows how protective the coating would be after a number of heating cycles. It will stand up without reinforcement even if it cracks because of the dome form. How long it will last is anyone's guess. If I were trying to make a cheap oven it is exactly what I'd do. After all if it only lasted a few years it wouldn't be that much hassle to redo it. Castable refractory is very expensive and designed for temps way in excess of those we get to. Build one and let us know how it goes. I advised a bloke to use this recipe about two years ago and he is happy with it, so far.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, I would agree, but I've seen plenty of rusty reo in concrete and it wasn't subjected to the high heat we give it. Actually the corrosive gasses given off in kilns, mostly sulphuric are responsible for the corrosion in kilns. Not sure exactly what temp these are given off, but it comes not only from the glazes but from the actual clay as the chemistry is altered as the clay is heated. I've seen concrete paths with steel fibres close to the surface that have rusted and expanded forcing lumps of concrete like little crater marks about 40mm in Diam. All over the surface. These were embedded in the concrete but obviously not sufficiently deep enough to be free from oxygen. Refractory material is also more porous than normal concrete so this would be more of a problem with the extra oxygen available. Look I'm just guessing the effect here, but industry use stainless presumably because normal steel doesn't work too well.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Three thoughts,

In the old days when cars used to rust lots, they used to say you'd never find rust in the boot (US trunk) of a brickie because there was always plenty of spilt cement to prevent it.

You might have a reducing atmosphere much of the time in aWFO but when the excess fuel is burned off you have an oxidizing atmosphere.(actually the oxidizing atmosphere is hotter, so it is detrimental to overload the chamber)

Check out any nails left in your oven from being in bits of wood that you've burned. They rust pretty quickly.

Last edited by david s; 11-15-2011 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Boot=trunk
Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cob and adobe ovens aren't reinforced and don't usually have structural problems (water is cob's enemy and the usual downfall).

<insert shrugging smilie here>

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Serf

Michelevit,
I am planing on building a oven like yours and I was wondering a few thing:
What size is your base(slab)?
What are the dim's of you oven, including opening.

I am trying to find the best location for my oven in my back yard.
Thanks.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Serf

Been following this thread.

So Cal.

I have so far built a concrete ground base, glass block wall, poured another base for the oven and got 90 % of the sand mold made before winter hit.

I did build a cheapo enclosure around it thinking I could keep building, but I don't think so.

I am going to use a sand and clay lining. I contacted a local clay plant and they recommended a Blue Green clay for this application. They commented on, they are suprised at how much clay for oven is being ordered..

So I have all winter to dream about the first firing of the oven.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Laborer

HI
How's the oven going, I think it's been long enough to prove it's self .
I am getting on with my build, base done etc and giving the oven the final thoughts now.
Your design is still the current plan. I will go down the ss needles root if I can find them. Just interested to see if yours is going well?
ROb