Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 06:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Brick oven reconstructed to a steel one

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12spirit View Post
However, it was one of my dreams to have one in my kitchen, but it was built by an idiot so I decided to rebuild it after having been reviewing the forum for months.
I missed this when it was originally posted, and I almost sprayed coffee on my tablet through my nose! Thanks for the laugh..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If it was mine I would use a castable refractory or the component mix( ie:homebrew..shutter ) over the steel....but not without reinforcement, because it will get a lot of cracking. I'd put 3" with a layer of wire reinforcement or use SS refractory fiber.

IMO it's superior to layering brick over the steel because you will have full contact, and no space between the steel and brick....which makes castable material more efficient because there is no air space between the mass and the steel.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 04-16-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Add detail
Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Journeyman

Thanks stonecutter. Your opinion does make sense. Cladding with refractory or homebrew is more thermally stable than layering bricks, but I am a little bit curious about heat up time, so I need to minimize the thickness as much as possible. I just want the thermal mass in order to improve the thermal stability of the oven, I don't need any retained heat cooking, so I have't decided yet how thick will the cladding be or if I can go with no cladding (??) which would sound a little bit mad!
BTW Why did my post cause you that sudden laugh?

Last edited by v12spirit; 04-16-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You need enough mass to make the cladding structurally viable. I would not go any thinner than 2" with reinforced cladding...but that's just a suggestion.

Re: the laugh.....when you said some idiot built the oven.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Journeyman

Thanks stonecutter for the clarification. Yes he is; he did not put any insulation for the hearth to mention one of his terrible mistakes. Glad it made you laugh
Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 AM
Journeyman

How to determine the side pieces integrating into the walls:
__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Sorry folks for involving too math. I did not find a more simple way to go with my build. However this mathís primitive and I have prepared the number crunching tools already. Just substitute for your desired dimensions and you will get the build.
Just to remind that the side area is a part of an angle sector that will be divided into smaller identical pieces for convenience. The side area will be composed of one over the door to guarantee that the golden ratio is achieved (the piece (A) in the photos below) and another piece representing the rest of the side area, the second piece will not be cut like the first which is cut to form the door, and this second piece will be further divided into 3 identical pieces (3 of the piece (B) in the photos) for ease of forming and cutting. Thus the side area is composed of one (A) and three (B)s.
Provided the door width is (w), the hearth diameter is (r2), and the angle facing the door width (Q) we get:
sin (Q/2) = w / r2
(Q) has become known.
To know how much of the hearth circumference did the sector of (Q) take (which is the length of the circular curve facing (Q) ) and it is of course part of the hearth circumference and I will name it (cr)):
cr = Q * ( r2 / 2) : (Q) in radians
We apply the same equation above to know the angle of the ((MAIN circular section producing the entire side walls)) which determines the section resembling the door (piece (A)) by replacing ( r2 / 2) with (r+L). Iíll name it door angle (da). You know, cr is mutual between the two angle sectors the one in the drawing here and that in my second post. Refer to my second post to know what do r and L resemble.
cr = da * (r+L)
(da) has become known.
(da) produces piece (A)
The rest of the angle is ( g Ė da) which will be divided into 3 to produce the (B)s:
ra = (g-da) / 3
This along with r+l will produce one (B) that will be copied twice to get the entire side area.
Refer to my 2nd post for more information.
Please folks tell me about any mistake you find.
Here are the photos.. You can see how determining (B) overstretched the paper so I used the kitchen floor and a chalk to capture it. That is why I divide into pieces; if it was one piece It would be hard to determine.
The door wrt the hearth:
Brick oven reconstructed to a steel one-door-wrt-hearth.gif
(A):
Brick oven reconstructed to a steel one-piece.jpg
(B):
Brick oven reconstructed to a steel one-b-piece.jpg
Detemining (B):
Brick oven reconstructed to a steel one-determining-b-.jpg
(B) determined:
Brick oven reconstructed to a steel one-b-determined.jpg
Old 04-17-2014, 03:19 AM
Master Builder

Hey V - If I had been presented with that I would never have started! I expect that your maths is right and good. i hope it works for you. I just did it and it works if you figure it as you go along.

I think my head hurts!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-17-2014, 04:12 AM
Journeyman

Keep encouraging me Steve. All my family are challenging the project altogether. Actually I needed such an encouragement. Thank you lots, and sorry for causing you some headache
Old 04-17-2014, 04:19 AM
Master Builder

When the first food comes out of your forno your family will wonder why they ever doubted that it is a very worthy thing to do and chastise you for not doing it sooner!

My head is fine now, really.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Journeyman

Hi people.
Today Iím very happy. After some discussions with david s and clobberdave about some insulation alternatives, and after some turn offs resulting from the lack of the insulation they suggested, I madly started a desperate search for ceramic blankets, And to my surprise, I finally found one in Damascus!! and asked someone to deliver it to me. It has surprisingly survived being destroyed on the way to here about 60 miles from Damascus. Iím so lucky. I did not expect that I will eventually have one for my oven. However it is too large for my oven so I will use it for constructing my second outdoor oven. It is about 4 cubic meters and it comes in a one roll that costs about 80 $. That is expensive to me because the dollar was magnified by 3.2 in my country the last two years.
Here is the white clad bride waiting to hug the lucky oman (I mean ďovenĒ). Heís too late isnít he?

Brick oven reconstructed to a steel one-ceramic-insulation.jpg