Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Other Oven Types (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/)
-   -   BBQ pit plans, designs, racks - HELP!! (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/bbq-pit-plans-designs-racks-help-13161.html)

EricU 06-05-2010 10:40 PM

BBQ pit plans, designs, racks - HELP!!

So after some talking back and forth with a buddy, I decide to build a Wood Fired Oven (42" diam.)and face it with brick and rock. Then like everything else I do, the project starts growing before I even start.

So far, I have drawn plans for the 42" diam. WFO, Concrete counter next to it, the new big ol patio slab, a small 24" high retaining/sitting wall and now I want to add a old style brick firepit/bbq.

This brick bbq pit will have a inside opening dimension that is about 48" long and 20" wide. I plan on having the back side higher with the counter top running on top that can house friends sitting on the back on bar stools (my friends do this well).

I plan on using it for both a fire pit (normal use) and as a bbq pit for parties since my wife made me buy a goofy "Vidalia" BBQ insert that actually only has flame on one side.

I plan on making the cooking surface from a stainless steel heavy wire mesh supported in a angle iron frame. I also want the cooking surface to be height adjustable with some kind of crank. And of course I already have found a 110 volt gear reduction motor (6 rev/min) to turn the spit for a pig, lamb or multiple birds.

Anyway, I have had such GREAT help on this forum regarding the design of the WFO and I have NOT been able to find much info on building a brick bbq.

Does anybody know of any good sites, so that I might learn form others?

Thanks, Eric

Neil2 06-06-2010 01:50 PM

Re: BBQ pit plans, designs, racks - HELP!!

"stainless steel heavy wire mesh supported in a angle iron frame."

Cast iron grills might be your best bet. Sometime you can score a set for free at your local landfill from discarded gas barbecues.

Tscarborough 06-06-2010 02:44 PM

Stainless steel works great indoors, but it is not really stain less outdoors, especially in a small diameter mesh. No matter how you end up building it you should line it with firebrick and add a chimney.

I can not imagine using the backside of a BBQ pit as a seating area, too much smoke and heat.

EricU 06-06-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 91647)
...but it is not really stain less outdoors, especially in a small diameter mesh.

I am not going to be using "small diameter mesh", it is a large gauge and wide spaced stainless mesh. I have been using stainless outside for years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 91647)
...I can not imagine using the backside of a BBQ pit as a seating area, too much smoke and heat.

It is going to be a multi-function pit. It will have a removable, height adjustable gril/cooking surface for Q'ing during parties, which will be removed during the family and (close) friends evenings, there will also be a heavy metal cover to close off the pit if so desired.

And what I was asking was "Does anybody know of any good sites, so that I might learn form others?"

I am looking for some ideas for the cooking surface height adjuster, pit drain holes etc,

I just figured that someone might know of a good website/forums that has the same level of knowledge on brick bbq's that the FB has on WFOs.

Thanks, Eric.

GianniFocaccia 06-08-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricU (Post 91689)

And what I was asking was "Does anybody know of any good sites, so that I might learn form others?"

Eric,

Try this site:

BBQ Source Forums -> Custom Built Grills & Smokers

Good luck.

John

joncro55 11-15-2010 11:31 AM

I have looked on this site and they helped me a lot with the many "variations" of wire mesh that might be used or needed....

Belleville Wire Cloth Co., Inc - Woven Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth | Stainless Steel Wire Mesh | Wire Cloth Strainer

Stainless Steel mesh looks like it will be absolutely my best bet if I am going for an indoor cooking venue, but I question the size of the mesh that I need.

How big is the openings that you guys usually see between your wire mesh?

Would you say it is like a 2 x 2 wire cloth or more like a 40 x 40 count? Very fine, or just fine enough so nothing falls through. Thanks for any tips on this guys, think I have the right alloy in mind, just debating the size.

_J_

Tscarborough 11-16-2010 05:47 PM

I am not so sure that stainless is what you want for your grill. Cast iron seems to be the most popular.

joncro55 11-17-2010 07:40 AM

Why not stainless? The heat factor?

I am going to call belleville wire cloth, the guys who sell it and ask them.