Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Barrel Vault in So. Cal.

Looks great laurentis.

I'm feeling a bit worked right now. Busy bake day. Twenty-one loaves. Some a pound or a bit over, some up to two pounds. Fun day. Lit a fire last night and this morning the oven was super saturated in the deep masonry. Between 600 and 700 degrees (depending on location) measured by thermocouple at the point where the bricks meet the insulation.

The surface of the bricks in the interior of the oven was 395 or thereabouts. (I lit the fire last night around eleven and didn't wake up till 8:30. Obviously, I left the door off all night as the fire burned. So the fire was completely out by the time I got out there and the surfaces of the bricks were cooling).

Mixed up my dough and started my bulk fermentation at 9:30. Went out and lit a small fire in the oven to bring the surface of the bricks bak up to temp. Pulled the fire out of the oven at 11:00 am. Formed loaves at 12:30. First batch of eleven loaves went in at 2:15.

Chris...the flour is the stuff they sell at Costco...fifty pound sack of ConAgra "Minnesota Girl" I like it.

Fresh from the oven...
david s likes this.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice bake!!

Chris
WJW likes this.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Master Builder

Bill,

That looks as if the family and villagers just finished harvesting the grapes and the olives, getting ready to settled down for well needed vittles, to restore their energy. Eat well and get back to word. I tip my hat to you, kind sir. I may even come over to help you with that vent.
WJW likes this.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Journeyman

I don't know about the grapes and olives...but the peppers, lemons, and tomatos are out of the garden.

And by this time next year the grapes and olives may be on the menu as well...I've got olives I'm planning on brining...and last March I signed on to a contract for a thousand pounds of cabernet sauvingon grapes which are being picked within the next two days. A buddy owns a vineyard and was nice enough to let me add a half ton of cab grapes on to his contract with one of the vineyards he buys from. So I'm going to make approx sixty cases of wine over the next few weeks and put it in a sixty-seven gallon french oak barrel to age for a couple years. Should be fun.... I just hope it's drinkable.

Bill
Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 AM
Master Builder

Hi Bill,
Well, wrong game, but the right ball park. In a few years, you're will have to increase the size of that oven for those wine tasting parties and if its not drinkable, there's always a need for vinegar, purchased any Balsamic lately? Funny, I planted 3 olive tree along side my oven, for ambiance, wrong climate for the fruit. I just finished brining my brisket for pastrami, this week I will do a test run of sourdough rye bread. Will your friend process, ferment and filter the grapes and you will age it at your place? Where is Camarillo? I've spend sometime in Carmel and Saratoga.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM
Journeyman

Laurentis

Yeah it's funny how these hobbies go. I think guys crazy enough to build an oven are predisposed to try other crazy stuff like brining olives, wine making, etc.

Camarillo is on the coast on the northern side of southern California. Sixty miles north of LA, thirty miles south of Santa Barbara. So we are very much in the right area for olives and wine. I have a big olive tree on my property that has been there since the early 1960's, and I planted six more a couple years ago to provide a screen from the street going by my house. I haven't done anything with the fruit yet but I will sometime.

The nearest big wine growning region is the hills inland from Santa Barbara (Santa Ynez apppellation) about sixty miles from here, but vineyards are going in over much of rural foothill regions of coastal and southern Central California. My friend's winery is in Santa Ynez. We are going to run the fruit I bought through his crusher/destemmer into a picking bin which I will use as my fermentation vessel. We'll put it in a truck or trailer with a forklift and I'll drive it back to my place to ferment it there on the skins. Then I'll press it roughly two weeks later and put in oak for a couple years. I'm hopeful that it will be drinkable. I'm using the same fruit and yeasts that my buddy is using for the wines he's selling to be poured in restaurants around Santa Barbara. We'll see.

I also put in fifty pinot noir vines last spring and they're doing very well. No fruit for a couple more years though. There are a couple small vineyards nearby so I think the vines will produce good fruit. We are about seven miles from the ocean in a slightly hilly area, but we are close enough that we get a pretty strong ocean influence with afternoon breezes and frequent low cloud cover. As a result the only grapes that will reliably ripen before winter rains are probablly pinot noir and chardonnay. So thats what I planted.

Where in Japan are you?

Bill

Last edited by WJW; 10-22-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Master Builder

Hi Bill,

Thats sounds intense and that you are on you way to a new career in the near future? I'm in Chiba prefecture, a coastal town(Kamogawa-shi), two hours south of Tokyo, by train. If use Google map you can find it, on my iPad(find my ipad), I can see in the satellite view, my house, oven, stacks of wood, everything. Well its 5:48am here and my pastrami has been smoking for 2 hours, will wrap it in foil and slow cook 4-6 hours more.