Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Other Oven Types (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/)
-   -   adobe+vermiculita insulation (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/adobe-vermiculita-insulation-7980.html)

danqui 09-22-2009 05:13 AM

adobe+vermiculita insulation

what would be a good mixture for the insulation under the ovenfloor, and how thick it should be... adobe with vermiculita??

dmun 09-22-2009 09:53 AM

Re: adobe+vermiculita insulation

You can use your vermiculite to insulate under the oven: a mixture of five to one by volume with portland cement will make vermiculite concrete, which will set up to a cork like consistency in about a week. Four inches is the minimum recommended under floor insulation.

JoeyVelderrain 09-22-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmun (Post 65367)
Four inches is the minimum recommended under floor insulation.

is this also the case under 2.5" thick firebrick floors?

what is the mixing recipe for perlcrete? I'm having trouble finding vermiculite in Louisiana, water retention is not our problem or...rather retaining too much water is a problem for plants here.

dmun 09-22-2009 04:55 PM

Yep, four inches all around. Perlite works the same as vermiculite, that's what I used. Full instructions here

ThisOldGarageNJ 09-24-2009 04:48 AM

Quote:

I'm having trouble finding vermiculite in Louisiana
HTML Code:

www.uline.com
They have 4 cubic foot bags about 22 dollars each.. Have you tried a pool supply, they sometimes sell it premixed with the concrete

Mark

JoeyVelderrain 09-27-2009 08:15 AM

Mark,
I bought some perlite at lowes, before I got your post. I think it will work out ok.
I also picked up a bag of pulverized limestone. The way I understand it, the less portland cement you use the better the perlcrete will work. What about the limestone? What is a good ratio to use?

ThisOldGarageNJ 09-27-2009 10:20 AM

the way I understand it the more lime you add the stickier it becomes,,, but im hoping someone else can answer this question better...

kebwi 09-27-2009 11:19 AM

I'm a little confused. Most vermcrete/perlcrete recipes are pure vermiculite/perlite and Portland, but occasionally I see references to mixing in lime.

Why? And how does one decide whether lime is a helpful additive for a particular application?

And is there any utility in using a higher a ratio of 6:1 or 7:1? I realize we may need 5:1 under the floor to achieve structural support, but on top of the dome we need much less support. Would a higher ratio provide better thermal insulation and still be strong enough to hold together?

Would it be advisable (or specifically *in*advisable to include a chicken wire matrix in the perlcrete (like putting standard mesh in standard concrete), especially at higher ratios? Would that help any?

ThisOldGarageNJ 09-27-2009 12:05 PM

there have been 10-1 mixes I've seen on here, Im pretty sure I used 6-1, I also mixed mine in a mixer as opposed to by hand,,(some dont recommen using a mixer) My point is, I dont see why you would need lime in ther vermicrete, I dont think its necessary.. In the stucco yes, I didnt use stucco I used the quikrete Surface Bonding Cement, or my needs it was easy to work with and adds structural strength to whatever you apply it to as well.. Hope that answers your question

Mark

JoeyVelderrain 09-27-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ (Post 65819)
there have been 10-1 mixes I've seen on here, Im pretty sure I used 6-1, I also mixed mine in a mixer as opposed to by hand,,(some dont recommen using a mixer) My point is, I dont see why you would need lime in ther vermicrete, I dont think its necessary.. In the stucco yes, I didnt use stucco I used the quikrete Surface Bonding Cement, or my needs it was easy to work with and adds structural strength to whatever you apply it to as well.. Hope that answers your question

Mark

I hope I didn't hijack this thread but...

So use lime on the dome render but not needed on the hearth insulation?