Old 11-12-2009, 05:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How to cook this......?

Quote:
Perhaps a silly question, but are going to cook it in your wood-oven?
of course i am silly man.... and you would probably take the ocean bus to get here...
I do want to cook it whole and probably will, I have some reading to do,, there are a few threads here about it... And of course there will be pics... I have enough room in the oven to put in the pig and the turkey.. Im thinkin I will heat the oven with the hades fire for 4-6 hours to make sure I have a full load of heat retention in it... then onto coll down and cooking... Will keep you posted...
Cheers
Mark
Old 11-12-2009, 06:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassourdough View Post

It looks like you could have a future as a butcher (and a baker, now if you can only learn to do candlesticks!)
A bit off topic... but as a matter of fact, I made my first candle just the other day.

No butchering skills though. Just a question: What did the pig's head TASTE like?? Does it compare to anything else you can think of? Did you like it...? I'd love to try that, it looks brilliant! (In a rather weird kind of way)

Can't wait for the pictures of the suckling pig!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Laborer

Frances

I did indeed eat the dish (last pic on post no.8) and enjoyed it. The only thing I could compare it to is spicy/herby "brawn" (boiled and mashed pigs head left to set in its own gelatine). It was very rich and not something you could eat a lot of. The challenge of creating the dish gave me the most pleasure.

Terry (C.F)
Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Master Builder

Is that 93 deg C? Looks great Terry, very professional. Does the skin get crunchy. I am going to try a small whole pig but want the skin crunchy/crispy. Would you do a whole pig the same way?
Old 06-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Master Builder

Mark, how did you suckling pig turn-out? Details on how you cooked it please and pics.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Laborer

Iwood

Yes 93 degrees centigrade. The skin turned out the opposite of crunchy as it was more or less steamed within its own juices.

If you are going to cook a whole suckling pig, I think it would be a shame to cook it in the same fashion as I cooked the Porchetta di Testa.

If your oven is big enough to take the suckling pig, this would be the perfect medium to cook it in as long as you get the temperature right. I would still dry marinate it and score the skin with a sharp knife (Stanley Knife...in UK) then rub the skin with salt and extra virgin olive oil and cover with alu foil, removing the foil for the last hour of cooking to allow the skin to turn into crispy crackling.

All the best......and let us know how you get on

Terry

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

Old 06-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Terry, will let you know.