Old 11-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: How to cook this......?

Thanks, Terry!

Another good ROFL! Good story!

One of the most rewarding indoor pizzalike substances is focaccia. I like to recommend it because it can be made REALLY WET (like 80 % hydration is normal and as a dare I did 100 % last year (80 is better, the 100 is TOO light and airy). So it gives you a chance to learn a bit about handling wet doughs and the effect is essentially a deep dish pizza.

Lots of good recipes are available. My favorite is potato! I will have to do one after I get back from my next trip and post some photos!

Your porchetta was inspirational!
Jay
Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
the Pizza had ballooned up like a football, wedgeing itself to the top of the oven with half the topping stuck to the oven roof and the rest falling off the sides to the oven floor...hence the smoke...trial and error.....I love it!!!
Canny,, You made me laugh,, I did something very similar when i baked a cheesecake and it cooked thru the rack above it.... Thanks for your sense of humor...
The pic of you and the pig is priceless....

I must admit seeing the before pics of the head, I dont think I would eat it,, BUT seeing the after pics,, wow that looks good...

Nice work...
Mark
Old 11-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Laborer

T.O.G I love the feedback!! That Porchetta di Testa was a gruesome sight and it does not meet everybody's taste. My next project is a Crown roast of Lamb.....Do you know this dish?

Terry (C.F)

p.s Did you still manage to salvage your cheesecake? Unfortunately my Pissaladiere looked like something the kids used to use as a football back in the 1920's.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Terry!

I have done a crown roast of pork with two joined roasts. Incredibly beautiful and tasty.

Take pictures!
Jay
Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
My next project is a Crown roast of Lamb.....Do you know this dish?
Thats the one with the little hats ???

The cheesecake came out after I let it cool in place and sliced the top off with a large knife,,, then for obvious reasons i topped it with cherries....

I put the oven rack outside and let the squirrels eat all the gunk off of it... then scrubbed it off

Mark
Old 11-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Laborer

Jay..... A crown roast of pork sounds really nice, but weighs a lot heavier than lamb i.e....more money ( I hate parting with my hard earned cash) so Crown roast of lamb it has to be, and I shall take pics from start to finish.

Mark.... Nice salvage work on your cheesecake!! and yes it's the one with the little chef's hats on. Here's a link on what it should look like. ( They forgot the hats.....I won't.)

http://www.wagshals.com/images/M680LambCrownRoast.jpg

Regards Terry (C.F)
Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Terry,,,
Im not much of a lamb fan... although I didnt think I could eat a pigs head but you made it look pretty delicious... If I may,, A crown roast of pork look like spare ribs to me.... Is there a difference ???

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOldGarageNJ View Post
Terry,,,
Im not much of a lamb fan... although I didnt think I could eat a pigs head but you made it look pretty delicious... If I may,, A crown roast of pork look like spare ribs to me.... Is there a difference ???

Cheers
Mark
ThisOldGarage

A crown roast in made from half the loin (the half containing the ribs) severel of these are used. The chine bone is chopped in many places (chined) allowing you to bend the loin against its original shape so the crown can be formed. The top of the ribs are then "french dressed" leaving the last 2" clean of meat.

Regarding the pork spare ribs (in G.B) they come from the belly pork,which is the continuation of where the loin has been cut. Unfortunately in this country the ribs are removed close to the bone, leaving not much meat on the spare ribs. The meat that's left is the belly pork, or when cured becomes streaky bacon. Same cut in beef=brisket or lamb=breast of lamb. Spare rib "chops" are different again. Sorry for rambling on. Hope this makes sense to you Mark.

Regards Terry (C.F)
Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes terry,, its basicall the better half of the ribs sliced up nicely ??

Im hoping to order my suckling pig today I want to cook for thanksgiving.. Any recommendatios for cooking... Im thinking about 15-20 lbs. I've been told to either butterfly it, or order it quartered... ????

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 AM
Laborer

Now then.......A Suckling Pig....I'm not a jelous man but just a touch of envy crept in when I read you was ordering one for Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately I hav'nt taken on such a task of cooking a suckling pig so can't offer any personel advice. Perhaps a silly question, but are going to cook it in your wood-oven? ( Before posting this I took a look at your oven pics. Brilliant!!!). It would be such a shame to have to quarter it as they look so good when cooked whole.

Is Bergen County anywhere near Newport S.Wales. What number bus to I take? as I'd love to taste Suckling pig.

Joking aside, best of luck with your beast for the feast. Don't forget the pics....love to see how it turns out.

Regards Terry (C.F)