Old 10-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Wood-Fired Pizza

Hey Brifro,
Try it now.

Erasmo,
Because I wanted to video making the dough balls and the whole pizza process, I did them pretty close together. I gave the dough balls one hour to rest.

A lot of us make the dough balls either the night before or first thing in the morning, and put them in the refrigerator. Then bring them out about an hour before you need them, to take off the chill and let them relax a little. If you won't be using them within an hour or two after making them, you should chill them -- or you will get a dough explosion.

What does everybody this of this? Sound right?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Journeyman

James,
This is the one I have been waiting for, fantastic. Couple of questions, when your floor was at 800 you said you were going to let it cool a bit, do you know what the temp was when the pizza went in? And secondly do you notice a significant difference between the Caputo farina 00 and the Caputo red?

Jim
Old 10-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey JCG,

I should have checked. :-) Sometimes it feels like I am testing all the time and I want to keep a "feel" for the ovens. I did cook a flatbread and the oven over-charred the bottom. I brushed the floor to remove the burned flour -- so the oven still had to be in the 700F's.

I think the most important thing to consider is the balance between dome and floor heat. If one is out of whack, you can't get everything to finish baking at the same time. A 2 -3 minute pizza is still great -- but the dome and floor both need to be working together. I find that if the fire burns down, and the floor is still hot, your pizza bottom is ready to go in 90 seconds, and the cheese is just melting, and you don't have that nice brown and char on the top.

I am still experimenting with the Rosso, and my first impressions are that it is a little "stronger", that it takes on water better so it is easier to work with at the higher hydration and that it makes a slightly crunchier/crustier cornicione. I haven't had problems with it burning -- it might even be better at handling high heat.

That all said, it's a pretty close window -- and I have many bags of both on my storage shelves, so I will keep experimenting.

My personal goal is to keep working on the rim (cornicione) until it is a little more narrow and puffs a little less. That would make my pizza a little more consisent from inside to outside -- though not necessary wider. You can really do a lot with a 280gr dough ball!

James

Old 10-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Laborer

Thanx James for the video:-)
It's great to watch information sometimes, rather than read it. You make it all seem so simple!!!
And you made me hungry lol
Well done
Old 10-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Laborer

Talking Re: Wood-Fired Pizza

Bravissimo Giaymes!

Che bella fiamma e pizza!
Old 10-25-2008, 04:50 AM
Laborer

James

Thanks,

Also you mention in the video a one kilogram batch. I have been doing the 500gr tipo 00 batch recipe you have on the Forno Bravo web site but I would much rather make a larger batch. To make the one kilo gram batch do I just double the ingredients or are their different quantities I need to be concerned with? I know some types of recipes if you just double them they do not work out right.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Apprentice

As long as you're measuring your ingredients by weight and not by volume, bread recipes generally scale very well.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Apprentice

Great video. I put it on my pizza blog. I don't think that looked too charred at all!!! I like a little char -- yum, flavor!!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Laborer

Thanks Ed.
Appreciate the response.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Serf

Wood fired pizza ovens are considered to be "low tech" but highly efficient. Because of advanced thermal engineering and materials used in the design and construction of these types of ovens, foods can be prepared very quickly. For example, if cooking a raw, fully topped pizza in a regular gas or electric oven takes up to 20 minutes, it can be ready in two to three minutes in these type of outdoor pizza ovens.

How is this done? Well, a fire is built inside the oven and as it burns, the heavy, insulated walls and dome of the oven heat up. Once that domed chamber is "white hot", the fire is either allowed to die down or is kept very low. The oven itself remains hot for hours because the heat that is stored in the oven walls and domed ceiling is radiating out and now allows you to cook or bake in extremely high temperatures immediately or lower temps when it starts to cool with passing time.