Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Wood-Fired Oven and Cooking Videos (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f41/)
-   -   My Columns with LED lighting (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f41/my-columns-led-lighting-5602.html)

christo 11-17-2008 03:00 PM

My Columns with LED lighting

I should probably make a poll for this one....

As a former Electrical Engineer, I tend to over do in the wiring and goodies department.

Instead of a single little light bulb on each column, my plans grew in cost and complexity and I added glass blocks to each of the columns.

Here is a quick and dirty (well not very dirty) video of how these columns might look with LED lighting - I made the color transistions very fast to keep the length of the video short. It can go painfully slow - so slow that you really don't notice the transisitions - and you can pause it on any color you like (and my wife hates this next bit...) and it has a remote control!!!

What do you think? Too much? Too little? Needs a disco ball?

Christo

Knackers 11-17-2008 04:55 PM

Re: My Columns with LED lighting

LOVE it................. I am puting led lights into my timber decking around the perimeter.

I wish I had read this post b4 I corefilled my blocks:(
as you said................you cant have too much conduit;)

Frances 11-18-2008 12:26 AM

:D That is so cool! And with a remote as well? Wow!!
I really do think you need to add the disco ball somewhere.

...and here's me wondering how I should best add one little outside light in front of my oven, so I don't have to hold a torch between my teeth on these cold Winter nights.

egalecki 11-18-2008 07:22 AM

Hey, I'm looking into a hardhat with a lamp on the front.

I think the led lights are cool, Christo. I think a disco ball would be overkill, though. Do all the lights turn the same colors at the same time? Or are they synched to different colors?

Breven 11-18-2008 07:33 AM

WOW....what a cool idea. I thought it would be impressive enough just to have a wood fired oven in your backyard- you've just kicked it up a notch! Can't wait to see how you incorporate those glass blocks into the columns. Very cool.

christo 11-18-2008 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind responses - The disco ball is still in the running!!!!

The LED is a 5 meter strip of RGB leds - you can cut them in to shorter lengths.

I have a single controller and wire under the patio that goes to each column.
So all columns will be the same color at the same time.

I even wired up under my oven so I can light the wood storage area as well...

I'll have a pic with the glass block soon. I've got to get some mortar under the column to hold the patio bricks in place under the columns before I put the glass block in permanently (semi permanently)

Christo

sarah h 11-18-2008 08:22 PM

Funny, my husband was just telling me earlier that he had seen light made of glass block, with strings of Christmas lights stuffed inside - we were going to try making some.

I would imagine they are similar to your idea, but yours are much more impressive with changing colours ... and a remote!

Sarah

christo 11-19-2008 08:28 AM

My sister made a bunch of those for christmas a few years ago. They are quite pretty.

Drilling the hole big enough to slide lites in the block was the tough part for her. She puts a bow around them and we put ours out every year!

jeff 11-25-2008 06:13 AM

Strewth Christo!
Fairy Lights??
I'd get strung, horned 'n guttered, if me mates found out.

Love 'em mate, but on a less esoteric note, I'm seeking an led camping light with a broad spread to supplement our present led semi-spot. Mast-head units seem the best on offer here in Oz.
Any suggestions for a light source? I can house the little honey, eh.
Ta mate.
Luddite Jeff.

christo 11-25-2008 12:29 PM

I am a bit of an LED nut... When I was in China there is a huge - really huge - electronics area - like 3 city blocks of multi-story buildings devoted to what looks like a city produce market for electronic components.

I found some 1 W and 5 W superbright LEDs that I am making into a camping light!!! I'm a bit afraid of the 5W - it is just too bright! - 3 of the 1W LED's are working nicely in place of the bulb in my old 6V lantern. I'll try to make it look pretty and take some pics and post them in Chit Chat.

Christo