Old 01-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: From match to inferno in two minutes

I went to school in Davis; really liked the town. If you're moving permanently to northern CA, though, I'm personally a big fan of Sacramento, in the older parts of the city close to downtown. The weather is good enough in most of the region most days, even in winter, for cooking outdoors (at least compared to your snow pic), so I wouldn't be surprised if there's another wfo in your future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
it really is like leaving one of my children behind.
I tried that the kids kept following me (of course im kidding) Nice video,, Informative and great production

Cheers
Mark
Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trockyh View Post
If you don't mind about an hour commute, assuming you are working in Davis, head to the foothills between Sacramento and Tahoe. Placing like Auburn, Grass Valley, Nevada City. Average temp this time of year 45 to 50F.
If interested I can get you more information.

Tom
Thanks Tom,
I am actually already pushing it a bit being in Davis. Most of my work is between Davis and San Francisco and north. But if you know of any great areas in that region that don't have "air quality days" (new and dissappoint term to me) that would keep me from using my new oven once built, I am all ears.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Jim,

Good luck with the move -- I hope it all goes smoothly and you like NorCal. There is a lot to explore within a few hours, with Sacramento, the foothills, Tahoe, Davis, San Francisco, Marin, the Wine Country, Monterey.

Great video. Very nice work.
James

Old 01-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Apprentice

Jim,
I have an oven I built in my backyard as well as cater with one on a trailer in the Sacramento area. As far as air quality days, this is from the Sac county air management board website and as you see, cooking is legal even on "no burn days".

Q: Are there exemptions?
A: The following rule exemptions apply to both Stage 1 – No Burn and Stage 2 – All Burning Prohibited categories:
-Homes where wood burning is the sole source of heat
-Financial hardship waiver approved by the Air Pollution Control Officer – must be renewed each burn season
-Devices that operate exclusively with natural gas or propane
-Cooking devices
-Ceremonial fires related to specific religious activities
Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by telehort View Post
Jim,
I have an oven I built in my backyard as well as cater with one on a trailer in the Sacramento area. As far as air quality days, this is from the Sac county air management board website and as you see, cooking is legal even on "no burn days".

Q: Are there exemptions?
A: The following rule exemptions apply to both Stage 1 – No Burn and Stage 2 – All Burning Prohibited categories:
-Homes where wood burning is the sole source of heat
-Financial hardship waiver approved by the Air Pollution Control Officer – must be renewed each burn season
-Devices that operate exclusively with natural gas or propane
-Cooking devices
-Ceremonial fires related to specific religious activities

Wonderful, wonderful news! Thanks for getting me past that issue!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Master Builder

Jim, sorry to see you leave the area! Thanks again for all the help you gave me, and good luck in the new home. I'm sure you won't be missing this glorious weather! I'd move out there in a heartbeat myself, given the chance.
Daren

Old 01-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Apprentice

Hey Jim,

Your video was a little sad. Especially knowing you are leaving it behind. Thanks for the tip on drying the wood.

I would be afraid to go so hot so fast here in the winter time. I usually start with a twig fire and slowly build it up.

What changes will you make on your next oven if any??

Good luck with the move,

dave
Old 01-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Hey Jim,

Your video was a little sad. Especially knowing you are leaving it behind. Thanks for the tip on drying the wood.

I would be afraid to go so hot so fast here in the winter time. I usually start with a twig fire and slowly build it up.

What changes will you make on your next oven if any??

Good luck with the move,

dave

Dave, there will be two significant changes to the next oven.

First, I will use 5" of vermicucrete topped by four inches of insulation-board. The vermicucrete alone just isn't sufficient to keep major heat loss from the deck of the oven, for those who built their oven with just the vermicucrete put your infrared on the top of your wood storage area at the height of temp and you will see what I mean.

The second change will be that the final coarse of concrete brick for the foundation will be replaced with a steel structure that will be "forkliftable". I want my next build to be my last build, no matter how many moves I have left in me.

Regarding a slow heat up, I try to get it up as fast as possible summer or winter. This will be the third winter of use with some miserably cold temps in Wisconsin and it hasn't affected the oven at all. The cracks I have are the same ones that occured during the original cure and they haven't gotten any larger. As someone said somewhere on the forum, if the oven is dry (and if not you have a bunch o other problems) going from 50 to 1000 isn't that much different than going from 0 to 1000.

Thanks Dave,
Jim