Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Good Background Information > Wood-Fired Oven and Cooking Videos

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Cold WFO steam injection test

Faith,

You know that the more you fill your oven the lease you will need this, its great for 1 to 6 loaves.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Peasant

Hi Faith,

I have read a lot of your threads and posts you and Jay sure know a lot about baking bread, thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
I see you have a gauge to measure the preasure but how do you regulate the preasure and what happens when you turn off the steam cock?

I have been around wood firered ovens for 30 plus years they were very basic but they sure baked a lot of bread we would fill them up with as much loaves as we could 20 / 30 at a time, because we had no insulation just lots of thermal mass we only got to do one big batch at a time.
I didn't know about using extra steam sounds like a good idea for doing a few loaves at a time, now that it is just my wife and I we don't nead to bake as much bread.

Thanks WD
Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM
Master Builder

Well what I found... even with a full oven ... it's the time it takes to load the first loaf to the last, the first loaf's crust is almost set. I started to pay attention to my ugly loaf's and they were the first in the oven. So I'm thinking that if I can blast steam while loading I can counter some of that effect.

I also can use it for smaller batches to give that good crust.

The gauge tells you the actual pressure with in the pot. The rattler is the round thing on top of the valve with 5- 10-15 printed on it. With a pressure caner that rattler will go tink, tink, tink, tink, when the pot gets up to the selected pressure of the rattler ( it acts like a pressure regulator) if your tinks get real quick your getting over your desired pressure and that you adjust with the amount of flame under the pot.

So when I turn off the valve to the oven the steam goes back to the rattler and that regulates the pressure between uses.

If all goes to hell, there is a large safety plug that will pop out around 18 psi and release all pressure in the pot.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Peasant

Thanks Faith,

I must be a bit slow, I haven't seen that type of rattler 'as you call it' before, but it all makes sense now.

I bet your ugly loaves aren't that bad compared to some that I have done.

WD
Old 06-11-2013, 06:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Faith!

Looks good and straightforward.

One of the challenges that differs somewhat for each of us is the general humidity level where we are. Here in central Texas it is fairly dry and I have to be pretty careful to avoid excessively drying the skin of my loaves during proofing and especially when loading a bunch of loaves into the WFO - it can only take seconds. One of the great pleasures of my class at SFBI was having the ambient humidity high enough that the skin did not dry quickly, the skin stayed flexible, the steam hit hard in the injection oven, and loaves were wonderful.

I suspect you are a somewhat high humidity area most of the time so I would think you will not have to be very concerned about drying the skin, but if you sense any dryness or stiffness to the skin of the loaves when loading you might want to seek to find a way to keep them moister during proofing/loading. Probably not necessary but for me the loaves that are a tad dry show signs when they bake...

Really looking forward to the results!
Jay
Old 06-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Master Builder

Most of my bread is proofed in a couche so that does rob some moisture. I have a proofer that has humidity control so I can get it quite moist in the cabinet. When I score the loaf I don't get any sense of drying or skin because the loaf stays in the couche until the last second before it hits the peal.

I do know that by the time the last loaf goes into the oven the first loaf has sprung and the crust is starting to brown. So those loaves do not get any benefit of steam due to a full oven load.

I also see a benefit of the steam injection for the things that don't have the large dough mass that bread does such as pastries and croissants.

This also has me thinking my next oven will have a lower ceiling so that the steam generated will have less cubic feet of air space to get lost in.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well hot damn! That is very cool!! A Pompeii steamer. I can't wait to see the baking results.

Thanks

Chris
Old 06-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Faith, taking us to new and innovative heights with every post!

We bow to your ingenuity.

Chip
Faith In Virginia likes this.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Let's see if I can figure out the video thing.

I just tested the steam injection system on the wfo. I did the test on a cold oven just to watch the steam and flow. In a hot oven the sound disappears and you can't see the steam cloud so it's hard to tell what's going on. In the video the steam is running at 8 psi. I think I would be able to increase the pressure but that will take more testing.

Next will be testing with a load of bread.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Vixcv7pSs&feature=youtu.be
I saw this video and it sounds good...
Faith In Virginia likes this.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Master Builder

I got to play with the steam injection with a real load of bread. I must say I am impressed. I cranked up the heat and was running at 10psi. For about 2 minutes before loading the oven I pre-steamed and steamed through the loading process. Once loaded I ran full steam for another 5 minutes.

I will post some pictures later. Working on some oatmeal raisin bread today.

Last nights bake was another memorable one. I failed to sleep the night before so I got the bread started late so it was close to midnight when the bread went in. As we were taking the dough to the oven the stars were out. Within minutes a summer storm formed over my oven. Once the bread was in the oven the sky opened up we had driving rain, wind, lightning and thunder. I was hoping the storm would pass by the time the bread was done, but that was not the case. I have a large cover over the oven but with the wind we were still getting damp and this blowing mist would not be good for fresh bread. We ended up pulling the bread out of the oven and putting it on the cooling rack then shoving it in the storage area under he oven the only dry place available.