Old 03-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Beer Can Chicken

I agree with the whole skin being the best part of the chicken...I must confess that I one day want to go to KFC and order a bucket full of skin...mmmmm . My wife thinks I'm nuts, but wouldnt it be sooo good!!! LOL
Old 03-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Agreed. Personally, I think chicken is nearly tasteless (except for good crispy skin). I have actually been "caught stripping" fried chicken of the skin many times since I was a child.
My mother would tell me how selfish I was for stealing the best part for myself, my wife simply thinks it is disgusting (even though she agrees it is the best).

RT
Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
I have actually been "caught stripping" fried chicken of the skin many times since I was a child.
My mother would tell me how selfish I was for stealing the best part for myself, my wife simply thinks it is disgusting (even though she agrees it is the best).

RT
I did the same when I was a kid (and...still do ), but I just told everyone that I was making the chicken healthy for them and they should be thanking me!! The skin is even better after a night in the fridge!!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My teenage kids are not fond of skin, so it behooves me to be a good example and eat healthy like them, right? Nah!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey James,,,
Nice looking chicken, I do mine in a frying pan,, Not worried about the oven floor, just like throwing in all the other stuff... Onions,potatoes, more garlic,,,

Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Serf

hello julia here..As is the selection of beers. Some people are militant about this decision. You will see advice telling you stout is the only beer for beer can chicken, while others will tell you any beer but stout. I don't want to get into that here.

enjoy it
Old 04-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Apprentice

I made my first entire meal (OTHER than pizza, bread or appetizer) in the WFO Saturday night: beer can chicken, roasted potatoes, roasted baby artichokes, and roasted garlic (and for dessert, roasted pears, which was easy and really tasty).

The chicken was incredibly juicy, but the highlight was the crispy skin. I think duck would really shine in a WFO. I'll have to do that soon.

I was really surprised how easy it was to cook multiple dishes at once. It was a cool evening, so I mostly stayed inside and came outside only ever 15-20 min. to stir the potatoes and move the chicken and other pot to ensure even cooking.

I fired my oven for about 45 minutes, and then moved the coals to the side (you can see in the photo that my oven only cleared at the top, so it wasn't super hot). I only built a fire towards the end when I wanted to brown the chicken and potatoes (and to provide light for the photo).

Cooking in the oven is so fun! I'm really looking forward to spending the summer outside cooking.

S
Attached Thumbnails
Beer Can Chicken-sjm-2010-8.jpg