Old 09-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Smooth coat over existing drywall texture

Thanks guys,
I took the safe path and used the enzyme glue remover. $7 for a bottle that does a whole room, so I have half left for other bathrooms. This paper was wild stuff. Metallic butterfly wallpaper. It came down easily, but it left a lot of glue behind. The glue remover worked fine.

Now comes the hard part. How fast can I smooth plaster?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by james; 09-03-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Amazing what people will do do their homes and put on their walls in the name of 'decorating'
Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I am starting to make some progess here, but then I hit a bump in the road. I've smooth finished the 2nd bath and a trial wall in another room. I'm getting the flow of the smooth finish.

My question is on drywall primer. What is the best product to use? Also, how long does joint compound take to dry? What about the primer?

Why am I asking? Because my first trial at applying the Venetian Plaster did not work because I was bringing up the primer and compound. I am guessing it wasn't dry. Or, I used the wrong primer.

Any ideas on this one? The plaster is pretty cool.
James

Old 09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Journeyman

Depending on the weather it could easily be days. Even in the hottest weather depending on the thickness of the first coat I would give it 2-3 days before applying the primer. I'm not a drywall guy so they may say shorter depending on your mix but if you are using right out of the bucket (if I remember correctly) I would give it at least 2 days. If you have patched areas that are thicker or joints that you have taped and mudded then it could be longer. Being in PB the weather is kinda on the damp side even this time of the year isn't it?
Why are you priming then plastering? going right over the compound I think would make for an excellent bond.
J.P.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Uno,
I'll bet that's it. The plaster called for a primer coat, but it makes sense it would stick to the compound. I will get in touch and see what they say. It's always damp and foggy here. :-), so I'll wait for a while to see if it hardens up.
Thanks.
James

Old 09-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I talked with the plaster company today, and they agreed that I started working on the compound layer before it was hard and dry. Oh well. I have re-coated the trial spot with joint compound, and now I have to wait for about a week. The gold plaster (oro) on the wall is hidden again.
James

Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Serf

Wallpaper is evil
Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey Ken,
The Baldini Vernici plaster arrived this week. It is very dense, and saturated with color. I have the same color in three different sample plasters, ranging from a true Venetian plaster, to a marmorino, to a rough interior/exterior plaster. It's a fun reminder; all of the instructions and marketing brochures are in Italian.

I am wondering if the exterior plaster would be a good option for outdoor kitchens. I'll let you know how the tests go.
James

Old 09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
Laborer

James,
Good luck with the Venetian plaster. I used the fine marmarino in my basement. Lots of work!!! My hands were blistered from the burnishing. I'm pretty happy with the results, though it's nowhere near as good as those guys I watched in the video I got when I bought it. I'm glad I did many sample boards before I put it on my wall. I didn't want to do it because I didn't want to waste it but I'm glad I did.

While I enjoyed the process, I have to admit I'm enjoying applying the Sto stucco I'm now applying to my outdoor kitchen. So much easier to work with, love this stuff. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it once you're done. Pictures too.
Karen
Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Serf

James-
We've been remodeling an old farm house for about 12 years that was full of wallpaper. Really bad wallpaper. We've rented a wallpaper remover that shoots steam through a flat head onto the paper. It works pretty well, but only if you score the paper first so the steam can get to the glue. You can buy a scoring tool at any paint store/home center. The best thing we've found for glue removal is an enzyme type concentrate. Mix it with the hottest water you can stand and scrub the glue with a plastic kitchen sbrub pad. Wipe it down with clean water when done. I'm intrigued by RT's old joint compund idea, but FORTUNATELY we are out of wallpaper to remove.

I hate to mud and finish drywall, so given a choice I would always remove the glue and repair any minor defects left in the surface. Make sure that you prime the wall before painting it. If you do have to do a full skim on the wall go with thin coats and let them dry for 24 hours in between. It may take a week of skimming every night but it's a lot less frustrating that trying for perfection in one or two coats.

I also agree with a previous poster in that you should only buy stainless steel taping knives and mud pans. A little surface rust on a blue steel knife will leave scars in mud that will drive you nuts. You can get a stainless mud pan and a 12" taping knife at Lowes for around $20.