Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > General > General Building and Construction

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Heat stop premixed mortar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMan View Post
Do you mean to break up the small lumps after it is all mixed together? I'm guessing that's what you meant. And thanks to all for the great advice. I'm taking it all in.
Just to be clear, I'm talking about both steps in dry mixing. But, most importantly, just before you mix the dry homebrew with water.

After opening a bag of portland and placing it in five gallon buckets or sealing it up in plastic, it will still form soft lumps after a day or two. Humidity is the problem in the south. That may not be an issue in the desert southwest.

It helps to screen/sieve those soft lumps when making the homebrew. If you mix up a batch of dry homebrew which is to be used over several days the same holds true. Screening it back through a sieve before wetting will help with thoroughly mixing each small batch. Any lumps that aren't broken up easily through the screen should be discarded.

If you don't screen, it is more dificult to get a smooth mix if there are small lumps present. Any small lumps, which don't get mixed properly, (that make it in to your final mortar), can cause problems in brick placement. That "peanut butter" consistency, that you think you have, can be decieving.
NCMan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 AM
Journeyman

Great tips and it all makes sense, now that you explained it all. Thanks for the advice. Now I just have to figure out which window to rip a screen out of. Maybe the wife won't notice one missing. Just kidding.

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 04-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Journeyman

I have another question. I poured my hearth slab today. Have it all covered up for a few days. How soon should I think about adding on the next layer of Perlcrete? Should the slab be dried a bit? Either way, I'm going to keep the slab covered up awhile, just want to know if it's better to let the slab dry out a bit before adding the Perlcrete. Also, I plan to add about 4" of Perlcrete, then have the floor brick on top of that. I know it's not a great amount of insulation under the slab, but it should be fine, I guess(?)

"You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six." - Yogi Berra
Old 04-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is good that you are leaving your hearth slab covered for a few days. 14 would be great. Your slab needs to stay moist for curing (strength) which I am sure that you understand. But, you don't have to let your slab "dry out" after that before adding your insulation layer...............If ......you install a waterproof membrane between you hearth slab and your insulation.

You could cover your hearth slab, after just a few hours of the pour, with a thick plastic. The next day you could install your insulation layer. In your case the "real wait "comes after the perlcrete .

Last edited by Gulf; 04-09-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Journeyman

I'll leave it covered for a week or two, for sure. Do you think that the 4" of Perlcrete under the hearth floor is fine? I know more is better, but elevation wise, 4" works. I can go higher if it's that critical. As of now, I plan to pour 4". And I'll be sure to also place another layer of poly in between the slab and the Perlcrete when the time comes.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
.....Do you think that the 4" of Perlcrete under the hearth floor is fine? I know more is better, but elevation wise, 4" works.
I think that 4" of perlite (no greater than 5 to 1) will work great! as long as it is allowed to, and and also kept dry .

Old 04-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Journeyman

Ok, thanks. I was planning on a 4:1 or so and will use a vapor barrier between the slab and it. Also, will do my best to keep it all dry.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can go leaner for a greater insulating value.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Journeyman

By "leaner", I'm assuming you mean more Portland and less Perlite? Or the other way? I'm not real familiar w/that term, although I've heard it before. Some people use that term differently. Since the Perlite "slab" will be holding up the entire weight of the oven, I want it to be able do so effectively. What ratio are you proposing, just so I understand you correctly? And thanks for helping a greenhorn.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
By "leaner", I'm assuming you mean more Portland and less Perlite? Or the other way? I'm not real familiar w/that term, although I've heard it before. Some people use that term differently. Since the Perlite "slab" will be holding up the entire weight of the oven, I want it to be able do so effectively. What ratio are you proposing, just so I understand you correctly? And thanks for helping a greenhorn.
A lean mix in masonry refers to less portland or binder to aggregate. Perlite or vermiculite is the aggregate in an insulating mix. I went 5 or 6 :1 on all my builds. Tscar had some kind of compression value chart he posted at one time, I don't have it though. But I'm pretty sure you would be ok at 8:1

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Tags
mortar