Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   General Building and Construction (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f39/)
-   -   hardwood flooring project (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f39/hardwood-flooring-project-3424.html)

christo 02-27-2008 05:25 PM

hardwood flooring project

1 Attachment(s)
Time to rip out the carpet and replace with hardwood. This is my first time installing hardwood flooring.

Found some prefinished white oak that matches the other flooring pretty well. It's solid and 3/4 inch thick. It's got a micro beveled edge so it looks almost like old school hardwood flooring.

Quandy I have is that the bathroom door runs 90 degress to flooring direction. As a woodworker in a previous life - my inclination is to use a piece of flooring to breadboard the edge at the opening. Having the marble tile transition next to the wood looks a bit odd to me.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can or should do here?

Picture below is what I mocked up for the bathroom entrance.

Thanks!!!

Christo

dmun 02-27-2008 05:39 PM

Re: hardwood flooring project

Your door edge treatment looks good. It's actually a good thing that your end grain hits the marble sill - wood shrinks and expands sideways relative to the grain, and my door edge to sill treatment grows into a sizable crack when it's dry in the winter. That's what that quarter round is for at the base of the baseboard, to cover the crack when it appears.

christo 02-27-2008 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the reply, Dave.

Do you think I'm asking for trouble if I lose the breadboard edge as in the picture below?

I don't think I have a any issues with expansion/contraction on the breadboard as its not glued.

From a structural POV - I like the breadboard. From an esthetic sense - I'm on the fence...

Christo

RTflorida 02-27-2008 06:58 PM

Christo,

hard to tell by the pictures, is that marble sill at the same level as the tile and wood?
There is an alternative that is made specifically for the transition shown, a "T" molding that is usually made by the same company that makes the flooring. It has a plastic channel that screws to the subfloor and then the T molding clips into it. The molding itself is about 2 inches wide - giving you plenty of "fudge factor" or expansion room. I have hardwood flooring throughout my living room, foyer, hallways, and office; with the bedrooms carpeted and the kitchen/dining tiled. I used the T molding to transition at each doorway to the different surfaces.
I do see 2 possible problems in using the T molding in your case. 1) If that marble sill is already taller than the tile and/or hardwood it would make the transitional "bump" even taller. 2) It may not look right with the marble sill (would look like 2 different transitions - to me, that is what your breadboard idea looks like). Any thoughts to pulling up the marble sill? Just a thought......

RT

Xabia Jim 02-27-2008 10:46 PM

Cristo

I think they both look good. It's one of those things you're looking at now in detail but will probably not notice when it's done.

Kind of like look at cracks in your newly built WFO.

I agree with the T molding or trim strip. If you have any issues in the future, you can find these transition strips....kind of a flattened half round that bridges the two floors. I think I've seen them in wood and for sure in vinyl.

-) kind of shaped like that (rotate counterclockwise though)

....but again, I liked the look of either picture

christo 02-28-2008 03:29 AM

That's an option I had not considered - removing the marble transistion - it sits taller than the tile floor and hardwood by about 1/16 of an inch. Jim makes a good point, too - I tend to obsess about minor imperfections of my work and 2 months later, don't give them a second thought...

Thanks for the responses. I have until Saturday morning to figure this out, so if you have any more ideas between now and then - please fire away!!

Christo

Xabia Jim 02-28-2008 04:59 AM

Christo

those are not imperfections, they're character

...be proud!

(Strive to be perfect:) ....settle for excellent!;) )

james 02-28-2008 10:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Chris,
We just did the same thing, using a wide plank Walnut. I like the look of the horizontal board through the doorway. The theory is that when the door is closed, you only see the flooring from that room when you are inside. Only wood in the hall, and only tile in the bathroom.

Our finish carpenters glued and top nail the horizontal board. We're not done, so I hope you can ignore the dirt. :-)

Hope this you decision making.
James

RTflorida 02-28-2008 11:51 AM

James, THOSE are nice transitions. Any chance of sending those carpenters to FL when your through with them? We could sure use a few guys that use more than a chainsaw, caulk, putty, grout. I grew up believing fine woodworking was an art...it is definitely a "lost" are here.

james 02-28-2008 11:54 AM

Before this project, I was a great believer in white baseboards and trim, and lots of spackle and caulk. :-)

James