Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: hardwood flooring project

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Before this project, I was a great believer in white baseboards and trim, and lots of spackle and caulk. :-)

James
This is what happens when your wife watches HGTV ( home and garden television). Your work suddenly multiples

Bruce
Old 02-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Master Builder

The method you proposed is as far as I knew quite traditional...becauses as dmun said the expansion acts perpendicular to the grain...if you have a router you could go to your local building supply and get the tongue and groove set and rout tongues to fit the groove in wooden thresh-hold...pain in the tushy removing a marble sill...adn my experiences with those strips was not good...just my opinion
Dutch
Old 02-29-2008, 08:08 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
J<snip> We could sure use a few guys that use more than a chainsaw, caulk, putty, grout. <snip>
WHAT! They don't use duct tape? Oh, the humanity.

J W
Old 02-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Master Builder

Had a similar problem with our transition into the bathrooom. The original 50 yr old wood floor was about 1/2 inch lower than the bathroom because I put in 3/4 plywood followed by wonderboard (fibre version not cement) and then tile. My dad was laying down full size maple flooring in his house. I took a look at it and said hey dad can you cut the tongue and groove off of one of those for me? I then took a router and made the wood look like an L when looking at it edge wise. Put a quarter round on both laterals and then used brass screws to screw it down. A thin bead of caulk on the bathroom side finishes it off.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hey Chris,
We just did the same thing, using a wide plank Walnut. I like the look of the horizontal board through the doorway. The theory is that when the door is closed, you only see the flooring from that room when you are inside. Only wood in the hall, and only tile in the bathroom.

Our finish carpenters glued and top nail the horizontal board. We're not done, so I hope you can ignore the dirt. :-)

Hope this you decision making.
James
James,

We have a Butler Pantry and I want to install an old world look hardwood floor but have some questions. Currently, the pantry and kitchen are tile and the pantry has no doors. I was wondering how to handle the issue of height difference between the two floors. I am on a cement slab and really would like to see the two floors pretty level. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another layer of sub-flooring? How much height difference?

-
Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Butler's pantries were tradtionally floored with cork, to reduce dish breakage. It's easy on the feet, too. You can still get cork flooring, but it's a luxury item.

Didn't used to be. I spent some time in Lancaster PA. The Armstrong flooring company there was known locally by their old name, Armstrong Cork. The original linoleum was a mixture of cork fragments and linseed oil.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cork's getting harder to come by. More vineyards, more (real) corks, less bark to go around. Good trivia David. God only knows where you come up with these tidbits.

-
Old 03-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Another layer of sub-flooring? How much height difference?

My assumption is the wood flooring is thicker than tile, so wouldn't adding a sub-floor make it that much higher?
Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A picture paints a thousand words. Hard to determine your and what you want to do without a pic. Heaven knows I'm not an expert in flooring. If nothing else, call in a couple of contractors to give you bids regarding what they want to do, then do it yourself, or hire them if it sounds too complicated.

-