Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Concrete slab question

Mark, thanks for the links. I particularly liked the slab calculator. The others were a bit beyond me.....I'll leave those for the engineers.

I decided to fill that 8x12 area. I'll just take my time filling the area while I concentrate work on slabbing other areas, section by section, mainly continuing on down with the step down walk way which will eventually tie in with the main patio area where the sun room (which will also be demolished) and the big tub sit......and eventually where the oven foundation will lay.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey f,
I guess as you clear some of the hillside you can fill the foundation.... Keep us posted

Mark
Old 11-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Master Builder

Thanks Mark, I dug and poured a new footing a few feet downgrade and will pour another section of slab there this weekend.
Meanwhile, I've been hauling dirt into the 8'x12' area slowly. That deck area can actually wait, as that bedroom is not being used at the moment.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey FX

Any Progress ?????

Mark
Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 AM
Master Builder

Hi Mark, thanks for asking.
I prepped two more landing areas over the weekend and will slab them tomorrow on my day off, and will post more pics.
One suspended landing area required additional prep work as I had to form an access hole directly above a below-grade rain reservoir/catch basin (which I never knew existed until I demolished the deck above it). This area will be the only other suspended slab. All other slabs will be poured over fill.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

thats one thing about building,,, there is always the UNKNOWN factor that makes it more difficult/interesting ?? glad it worked out

Mark
Old 11-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Master Builder

I poured another suspended slab yesterday. That access hole form will be removed and I'll form a concrete cover to fit inside. I plan on pouring another slab tomorrow (the landing in the very front of the pic) and continuing on downward. I know I should be forming steps at the same time as I pour the landings but I'll pour the steps separately (less complicated for me..)

I wish I had more time to work on these projects but working 60 hours/wk makes progress very slow. I've been working on this a couple of hours starting at dawn each morning (thank God for SoCal weather, I'm in tees and shorts) before heading into work, plus the two days off I have.

Last edited by fxpose; 11-20-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very thoughtful of you to make it easy for the search team and CSIs - leaving an access hole will greatly speed up the process of finding whatever/whomever ends up inside

RT
Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Man, it's hard to believe that's the same site from your earlier photos.

Nicely done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 11-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I know I should be forming steps at the same time as I pour the landings but I'll pour the steps separately (less complicated for me..)
I agree,, it's always better to know when to stay within your personal experience and boundries....

Good Luck
Mark