Old 12-10-2009, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Concrete slab question

looking good.... isnt it great, by the time you get to the oven section you will be a well practiced mason,,,, Your doing great,, I do amire the amount of energy your putting in to this...

KEEP GOING

Mark
Old 12-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Master Builder

Today is concrete Thursday......my day off and I get to pour concrete...

I've mentioned this before but you can get torn/damaged cement goods at huge discounts at Home Depot. There are 3 Home Depots close to where I live and they always have pallets of damaged cement goods outside, marked down. Only thing is you must buy everything that's on the pallet which usually averages out to about $1 per bagged item, and most bags are full or near full. The pallets always contain several bags of concrete mix but I always end up with a surplus of mortar, stucco, and sand though...
I have so much type-s mortar now perhaps I can simply add gravel and use them as concrete.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Apprentice

Looks like you also buy the pallets of broken soils from the garden dept. I work for Scotts and see these go out all the time at a great price.

Tom
Old 12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Today is concrete Thursday......my day off and I get to pour concrete...

I've mentioned this before but you can get torn/damaged cement goods at huge discounts at Home Depot. There are 3 Home Depots close to where I live and they always have pallets of damaged cement goods outside, marked down. Only thing is you must buy everything that's on the pallet which usually averages out to about $1 per bagged item, and most bags are full or near full. The pallets always contain several bags of concrete mix but I always end up with a surplus of mortar, stucco, and sand though...
I have so much type-s mortar now perhaps I can simply add gravel and use them as concrete.
You have something better to do on your day off? Name:  1831.gif
Views: 325
Size:  376 Bytes

How much do such pallets weigh?

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post
You have something better to do on your day off? Attachment 16503

How much do such pallets weigh?
Well, I used to do a lot of cycling on my days off but that's been put on hold for the time being as I've been doing concrete instead. Also seems like I'm getting a better overall workout with all the digging and hauling...

As far as the pallets go, it depends. Some days there are only less than 10 damaged items on the pallet with a price tag on it. And on other days I'll find couple or three dozen items on them, priced to go. So it all depends....you never know what you'll find in the morning.
I don't have a pickup truck so I have to load them bag by bag onto my suv which can be a hassle when dealing with torn bags. I always carry plenty of duct tape and trash bags for these occasions. But the savings are worth the exta trouble.....but perhaps not good for my suspension though with all that weight. I definitely need a truck.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I definitely need a truck."

Or trailer.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
"I definitely need a truck."

Or trailer.
Name:  smilies-3731.png
Views: 189
Size:  480 Bytes

Part of why I was asking is because I drive a Toyota Corolla and its tow limit is 2000 lb. I bought a trailer for it earlier this summer and I wish I'd done it years ago! I don't transport a lot of heavy things but there are a number of bulky things that I use the trailer for.

Get a trailer - you'll love it. Don't forget the spare!

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 12-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Master Builder

I never thought of a trailer. I'll definitely look into it.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post
Get a trailer - you'll love it. Don't forget the spare!
1) I got an open bed trailer when I sold my truck 13 years ago. Even though I only use it a few times a year now, it was one of the best, lasting investments I have made (my stock portfolio is another story!).

2) Get the spare tire - you don't want to be stuck in the middle of the New Mexico desert, 25 miles in either direction to the nearest town, in August. Trust me, I know!
Ed
Old 12-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Master Builder

A small, 4' wide, heavy duty utility trailer kit with 12" wheels might be just what I need. I can build the floor and side rails. Will definitely carry a spare tire too.
Thanks for the great idea.