Old 04-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pompeii Grill in Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
...maybe I didn't use enough duct tape?

Some master builder, eh?
Maybe you need to switch to my personal favorite, 2 part epoxy.
My dad's list of essential tools for the home:
duct tape
2 part epoxy
WD 40
a pry bar, for things you 2 parted together you didn't mean to
and for some reason, he kept saying "a screwdriver is not a chisel".

(he actually does a lot of woodworking and boat fiddling, and has an extensive collection of tools and things, but all of the above can be found in the junk drawer at mom and dad's!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I think we were typing at the same time.

Personally, I have to see something halfway done before I can visualize the end.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ooohh, do I get to be brick oven merchant when I get to 2987 posts??
Old 04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Journeyman

Frances,
just caught up with the concrete calamity. Oh poop!
Jeff.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, you have to laugh! And I haven't even got a dog to blame it on...
Old 03-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here we go, second time lucky... I hope! Now that the temperatures have finally risen above freezing we were able to redo this thing.

Do you know, my husband is completely incapable of lifting a sack of cement without ripping a hole in it? Does that often happen to you lot? I'm telling you, the car, the garden path, the shop, all covered in a sprinkling of gray powder... but I should talk, I'm just incapable of lifting one.

It'll be so nice to be building something again!
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii Grill in Switzerland-grill-008.jpg  

Old 03-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Apprentice

Well sometimes a mule is just a mule. But other times you just gotta thank god that you've got that beautiful animal makes all the difference

Old 04-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Of course you're absolutely right berryst, I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without the help and support from my husband. Who cares about a little bit of cement dust...

So here's the progress, such as it is. One pic with what I've got and one with the Chimney I originally wanted to put on the Pizza oven before I realised it wouldn't stand the heat. The next challenge is how to get from the basic square shape of the bottom up to a round resting place for said chimney. Should have built another dome, shouldn't I?

I'm exactly five bricks short for the archway in front, and the local seller said they'd only sell hem by the palet . So I called up the production place, 1 1/2 hours drive away, to ask if they could help... They have put the bricks in a box and had them delivered to a construction site five minutes away from here... For free, just like that. Made my day, I can tell you, what a nice person!
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii Grill in Switzerland-dandelions-004.jpg   Pompeii Grill in Switzerland-wall-001.jpg  

Last edited by Frances; 04-15-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

And here is the second leaning arch of Allschwil.

Working on this really makes me wonder how I ever managed to build a whole brick pizza oven all by myself. I stand and look at it in wonder before turning round and taking half an hour to slap another not-quite-streight brick not quite in place...

Must have been posessed by the WFO deamons, is all I can think of.
Attached Thumbnails
Pompeii Grill in Switzerland-grillarch-001.jpg  

Old 04-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Repeat after me, "imperfections add character".

I look at my oven too and wonder "how on earth did I do that?". Now I'm trying to figure out how to make the gas grill disappear altogether so I can usurp the place I made for it so I can build a grill.. Do you suppose my husband would notice if it just disappeared???? Would he think it ran away?