Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Crazy guy wants to build a WFO over outdoor fireplace

Yes, our power came on late this afternoon. We've been without it for four days. our benevolent Australian govt. is giving every adult $1000 if their power has been off for more than 48 Hrs. You should see the line up outside the bottle (liquor) shops. Here is a pic of an oven in a fireplace at Chinon castle in France.
Attached Thumbnails
Crazy guy wants to build a WFO over outdoor fireplace-chinon-castle.jpg   Crazy guy wants to build a WFO over outdoor fireplace-chinon-castle-detail.jpg  
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is another oven that shares a fireplace. This one is in Tuscany in a 500 Year old villa. One big advantage is that you don't have an entry that you have to reach past to access the oven interior.
Attached Thumbnails
Crazy guy wants to build a WFO over outdoor fireplace-penzano-oven.jpg   Crazy guy wants to build a WFO over outdoor fireplace-penzano-oven-detail.jpg  
Old 07-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Laborer

I like the idea of having a small fireplace built into the WFO. I can see some advantages from a culinary perspective. You could burn wood and feed the oven coals to create smoky flavors while slow roasting at lower temperatures. Of course you don't need the fireplace to be attached the the WFO, but still would be cool.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another advantage of having the oven in the fireplace is that you don't have that space restriction of the entry to have to work past. If I lived in a cold climate, I'd build one like this so I could have it indoors.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Apprentice

I'm currently building this Exact same design.....a wood burning stove directly under the oven. There is an inner door at the dome and an outer door approx. 11 inches out on the landing to close off the smoke/heat coming from the fireplace below.....

I'm researching how to utilize it as a smoker and or white oven as well as the traditional WFO...

If I could figure out how to post pics I'd show you......still working on that.....