Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Commercial Pizza Ovens

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 04:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood-Fired Pizza To Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Jay,
It's true they specifically say that you cannot deliver real Pizza Napoletana. It stops being a real Pizza Napoletana the moment to goes out the front door.

James
*emphasis mine

You can do it - it's just such a darn pain to drag the oven to the guy's house....

Okay, leaving now....

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 07-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Serf

i know a guy in paris , being from europe , italy , that bakes 500 pizza a day to go . don't use wood . here in europe it is against the law to use wood ovens anymore, only in the trailers . for health and safety reasons . you will find out that his pizza , all thin crust are gourmet pizza and do okay , even after being delivered with scooters .
in europe , they deliver only with scooters.
i presume , in the usa , this won't take long, the price of the gas being too expensive to drive a car .
everybody should learn from that.
plus he has a samll store 200 square feet.
that make an average of 6000 euros a day.
beat that in the usa with labor and everyhting /
works with his daughter and wife. and take orders over the phone with a ear piece and bake at the same time .
i think the pizza business in the usa needs a serious make up.
becaue more profits are going by the windows .
too many employees , too much waste etc...
Old 08-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Laborer

Angel,

What do you mean that the ovens are outlawed? God please say it ain't so
Is this the same guy in the photos that James originally posted?

See below.
That seems like wood fire in the oven.

Thx,
Roberto
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 AM
Serf

i was referring to wood-ovens. unless you use the grand father law. like you already had a wood oven restaurant before the law was in existance. all new restaurants, except outside trucks like ambulant commerce selling pizza on a parking lot , must comply and use only gas or electric ovens .
to be honest , i used to really think wood ovens were the thing . today with better equipment , i would use it only because , we went back in the past and had no other choice. a total waste and ecologically , burning wood is not what i call environment friendly . we are too many on this planet not to be conscious of that . and the inconsistancy of baking with wood , is not worth the trouble. for the charcoil flavor. i can do better with an electric oven and the right products fumicata etc.....
Old 08-22-2008, 05:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Uh, wich law would this be refering to? Is this only for commercial ovens or WFOs in general? And which parts of Europe?

Sorry for all the questions, but this subject would tend to be of great interest here and I never heard anything about it before.

As for baking with wood or in an electrical oven, I think most of us here have both and are in a good position to compare the two. I personally find it completely different and get far better results with wood fired cooking.

I have read that heating (and cooking) with wood, when sensibly used and with oecologically harvested wood, is in fact better than oil or gas, as its a renewable energy source. Each tree releases as much CO2 when burned as it absorbed while it was growing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Each tree releases as much CO2 when burned as it absorbed while it was growing.
Or as it would if it rotted on the forest floor.

It may be in France that your electricity is produced in carbon-neutral methods like wind power and nuclear, but here is the USA, aside from a vanishingly small amount produced by hydro and our few nukes, it's all coal and oil plants. I'd much rather burn a few tree surgeon scraps than take off a mountaintop in West Virginia.

Aside from the fact that wood fired pizza does really, really taste better.
Mitchamus, GarnerAC and Gravity like this.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Peasant

I was looking at a location to do just that, Drive Thru Pizza. by the time I got off my as_ the location was taken by Subway and is still going strong for the last 2 1/2 years. If the to go or take out is going home with them sell them a pizza stone and do not slice pizza, Tell them to just re heat and slice. The best way is test your product. make a pie and put in box check the pizza every 5 min and see how far you can take it before you don't like it and set that as you range. I've had people order pizza to go and had a long way to go ( some an hour or more), They ordered every week.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I send pizzas with my older children in cardboard boxes.
They take it to work or to one of their friend's house.

No complaints so far. I even get offers from their friends to buy pizza!
So.. As long as it stays hot. It definitely beats the hut.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Peasant

Every time I have a pizza party at my house I make a dozen or so to go, They even call in orders. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIZZAMANMIKE View Post
Every time I have a pizza party at my house I make a dozen or so to go, They even call in orders. Keep up the good work.
LOL I've been doing that too lately!

Hhaha

Funny how it works the same at your house..... and mine....

My costs:

My pics: