Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Commercial Pizza Ovens

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Peasant

Default Re: should I go wood?

Educate my palette? Its getting educated everyday with my WFO. And today, ladies and gentlemen it will be with a Mennonite smoked farmer sausage made with moose and or venison. Hows that for an education?
Old 07-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Apprentice

Wood's good! Once you have a good pizza made in a wood fired oven you'll never go back.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Apprentice

Wait until you cook sausage or roast game in your oven. It will be like baked mickies in an old wood fired kitchen stove. To die for!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

GOT WOOD....... for me wood was the only way. I used to work at a restaurant and they put in a 60,000.00 rotating gas fired stone oven and they make great pizza's. But I have had the chef here (he is a friend) and he prefers my wood oven better....

Good luck
Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Peasant

If you REALLY want to annoy a Frenchman just remind him that the Italians taught the French to cook...... I am also tempted to remind him that there are more Michelin starred restaurants in Tokyo than Paris. Over here in Europe the reputation of French food is no longer one of excellence but of being staid, old fashioned and living off past glories.

I was in Rome a few weeks ago and we ate at a tiny Pizzeria just off the Piazza Navona. They used a WFO and the pizza was utterly amazing. I noticed that they put a lot of semolina flour in their dough.

This place was so busy with Romans that they put tables in front of the news stand next door as soon as it closed - the news stand owner came back about an hour later and there was a very amusing Italian type arguement - he was paid off in cash in the end.

BTW Pizza Hut use state of the art electric ovens and .......... need I say more?

For sale - one French army rifle, never fired, dropped once.
GarnerAC likes this.

Last edited by blackjack; 12-02-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It might be accommodating to throw a (tiny?) bit of empathy to Angel40204 given France's recent catastrophic nosedive of their coveted wine industry. According to official figures through June 2009, not only are EU exports of French wine down (Germany -21%, UK -27%, Belgium-Luxemburg -15%) considerably, but so are other world markets (U.S. -9%, Japan -16%). 2009 weather has given France a horrendous growing year and worse, The French Health Ministry is cracking down on wine producers and initiated measures for 2010 to increase the legal drinking age from 16 to 18, ban happy hours and open bars (drink all you can for a flat fee).

A year ago, while touring in Japan, I observed one French restaurant (Kyoto) while I saw five pizzerias.

So next time you fire up your oven, take a moment to savor the wonderful wood scent as you raise your glasses and toast this wonderful WFO community and ask: (all together now) got wood?

John

Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 12-02-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
The French Health Ministry is cracking down on wine producers and initiated measures for 2010 to increase the legal drinking age from 16 to 18, ban happy hours and open bars (drink all you can for a flat fee).
John
The French to ban happy hours?? I thought they'd done that years ago....
Old 12-04-2009, 05:04 AM
Apprentice

I can't say enough about WFO cooking. Great heat, flavor and it is renewable. We are lucky we grow our own and fire our own.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmaster View Post
For our pizzeria, we're open 6 days, 11:30-2 weekdays, 5-9:30 tuesday to thursday, 5-10 Friday - Saturday.

We have a large (~10 12" pizzas with a fire constantly going) custom brick oven. We probably go through a cord of wood a week. We pay $70 canadian per cord.

MySpace - Terra Cotta - 102 - Male - 318 Pelissier Street, Windsor, CA - myspace.com/terracottapizza

A full cord per week???? What physical dimensions for a stack of wood are you calling a cord? I know a cord as 128 cu-ft, a stack 8' wide, 4' tall, and 4' deep.
if the splits were cut in 16" lengths, you would have 3 lengths of wood from front to back, if they are cut 12" lengths you would have 4 lengths depth.

Some people wrongfully call fractions of a cord misleading terminology such as cord, face cord, rick, or a rack. And those are usually 1/4 to 1/3 rd of a full cord depending on the length cut.

UL, NSF, & ANSI listings?? When do you feel these will be official? Those cetifications would help me immensely for getting a Forno Bravo unit into my upcoming operation with the least amount of hassles..

I am waiting for the literature to show up in the mail so I can move forward with building modifications to get one burning ASAP.
Thank you,

Oh, Angel. Lighten up!! Global preferences are changing, and all I am seeing is french cuisine falling off behind that curve.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Serf

Seeing what you ended with. We inherited a oven that was not installed and trying to switch to gas has anyone done that and what about a vent a hood vs a chimney for the gas unit