Old 07-29-2013, 04:47 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Second Large WFO in India

today i have a few pictures to post, i was on holiday followed by a work trip to china to be followed by a holiday in another 2 days i only get back on the 15 th by when i shall have a functioning oven.
so here goes.

the stand with 4.5 inch calcium silicate board on it

my staff cutting the calcium silicate board to size

insulation cut and starting install

cutting bricks to size there has been a shit load of cutting to taper the bricks.

few more to post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Every morning in a jungle, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”
Old 07-29-2013, 04:47 AM
Laborer

there is a lot happening in this picture, i made a steel reenforcement strap around the base we are tightening it here, increased a layer of bricks on the bottom, changed the pattern of the bricks for the base to a double brick herringbone doing this ment i had fewer smaller peaces around the edges.

a mock up of the arch

so i have a few more pictures to post form yesterday and today, believe it or not all this was done in one day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Every morning in a jungle, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”
Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Impressive build. What flue size did you decide on? I still see a 6 inch listed in your first post. I would recommend a 10 inch ID flue for that size oven. It also looks like you decided to exceed the 18 inch inside height.

Are you going to lay your dome Bricks vertical? I think that may lead to excessive mortar exposure between the sides of the bricks. I would reconsider and lay them flat.

Last edited by mrchipster; 07-29-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Laborer

so here goes of what happened yesterday

did one layer for the dome , also added a 12 mm steel plate for the floor at the door as there is tons of wear and tear and wanted this oven to last me long.

a mock up of the door arch , all the plate steel used was bought by my grand father off a old ship that was being cut apart in the late 60's so i guess the steel is real old.

a wider view of the work site. by this time we have completed 2 layers.

more to come in a few hours

Old 07-29-2013, 05:22 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Impressive build. What flue size did you decide on? I still see a 6 inch listed in your first post. I would recommend a 10 inch ID flue for that size oven.
well thats been upgraded to a 6.25 inch ID SS pipe going 26 feet straight up, i have been assured that the height will create enough of draft and compensate for the narrow pipe.
and if this fails i have made provisions for a 10 inch pipe.
i already have the 6.25 inch pipe form a previous build. so want to try that out first.

Quote:
It also looks like you decided to exceed the 18 inch inside height.
that has gone up too its now at 24 inches,
it was not all that practical to do the 18 inch dome (looked too unstable to me )

Quote:
Are you going to lay your dome Bricks vertical? I think that may lead to excessive mortar exposure between the sides of the bricks. I would reconsider and lay them flat.
do you mean on the inside of the dome? or on the outside as i am confused,
ii side the dome there is very little to none mortar being seen at the seems but on the outside is a whole different story.
there are big wedges where i need mortar to be filled and larger crevices.

Last edited by 1 strover; 07-29-2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: read the question wrong and answered it wrong.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your insulation should extend outwards so that the base of the dome is also insulated from the supporting slab. You present configuration will work ok, but heat will leak into the supporting slab and reduce efficiency.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 AM
Laborer

the third layer

hole drilled between bricks at the bottom, the temp probe wil sit 1 inch below the floor and will extend 8 inches inside (practically inside a brick)

the fourth layer done all the way around

the 5th,6th and 7th layer the foor arch partially complete.

more to follow

Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 AM
Laborer

burning the midnight oil
7th and 8th layer done last layer left and keystone, decided to do something different.
stacked up some bricks inside and put a trough with sand on it to rest the last layer of bricks.
i had to go out for a couple of days. post this picture

once i was back this was the finished dome and the smoke hood

a few views from the inside

Old 08-05-2013, 02:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice.....

Old 08-05-2013, 06:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

That is one fine looking oven.

Tags
big, igloo design form, india