Old 11-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oven Floor / deck without seams

Yeah phippsj, I guess common sense doesn't prevail with those inspectors. Soapstone is a good option.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Peasant

I would ask for a determination from your inspectors superiors.
The inspectors statement makes absolutely no sense. Every brick-floored oven I have ever used had individual bricks making up the floor.

There are states and counties that have made some obnoxious requirements for commercial food establishments, Minnesota is about the worst I have seen so far. One of their requirements is that "All appliances need to be NSF approved to be used commercially, no exceptions!
I have a friend who has a BBQ restaurant there, and his inspector got all bent out of shape because he thought insects were going to fly down the chimney and contaminate the food while it is cooking. Like a mosquito is going to brave several hundred degrees.

If the supervisor is as ignorant, request a hearing for a variance.

good luck, some of those regulatory people are real pieces of work and really like to wield their infinite powers to cause trouble instead of using common sense.

I had an inspector tell me that no part of my BBQ pit could be outside (Built through he wall so I would not need a class-2 exhaust hood) I requested he show me the statute that prohibits what I wanted to do, and I got no more resistance from him. Now I see him as a customer between my inspections
Old 01-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Apprentice

"One size fits all" government regulation at it's finest. Good luck on your enterprise !
Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Serf

Been reading over your fears regarding seams and health department. Don't worry about it. Don't even ask them about it. I cook on a brick hearth at markets. Saying there are seams is like saying a grill has seams. Per their regulations you have to "cook" your food, meaning bringing it up to about 180 degrees to be safe. When I pull my pizzas out they are at 210. They are coming out of a completely sterile environment. People have been cooking on brick for thousands of years. Seams are not a problem.

Good luck

Tags
oven deck, oven floor