Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Laborer

Default Re: mobile start up should i or should not

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusjdunne View Post
Thanks for the encouragement , but still to be convinced .Anyone got any suggestions on which oven is best suited to being mounted on a trailer.
Fergus .
Hello Fergus and welcome to the forum.

Can't give you any 1st hand experience, but it sounds like a great idea. If you want some "food for thought" then click on the search category and type in "mobile pizza ovens". There are many,many different threads on making a mobile pizza oven.

Best of luck with your project........Terry (C.F)

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fergus,

Couple things to consider with a mobile, many of which have already been addressed. Personally, I'd definitely go with a twin axle trailer design, but be sure to look into electric brakes for it. These puppies are heavy. You'll need a V6 to pull it; SUV or pickup. I'm hardly an expert on suspension (other than MC shocks/forks), but it's worth reinforcing that you will need a soft suspension with lots of travel. More importanly, though, be sure to factor in that mobile ovens are quite top heavy, so lateral roll control should be at the top of the list, and be darned careful in sharp turns.

Jim

Last edited by CanuckJim; 01-09-2010 at 10:18 AM. Reason: txzypoos!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Serf

Advice welcomed,i would like to find out if there are any mobile units currently on the go in Ireland or the UK.
Fergus.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Serf

Thank for replies .Think you are spot on about the trailer design.This will be very important to maintaing the oven.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 PM

And remember, when designing your trailer, that once you start selling pizza to the public, you run up against a tsunami of food safety and health regulations. You will have to outfit your trailer with water supplies, multiple sinks, refrigeration, and on and on. I'd definitely consult with your health department before committing yourself to a design.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Peasant

Regarding the Tsunami of food safty and health regulations.
Having done your home work with whatever county your dealing with would it be wise to concintrate on organized street fairs and other organized events , I heard they have something like a blanket food and health coverage that would make it easer to do the Wood Fired Pizz Oven.
Any comments would be greately appreciated.
Lill Dave
Old 01-14-2010, 03:30 PM
Apprentice

I am not sure what types of health issue you will run into in Ireland Fergus, but Lill Dave is right about some of the larger street/community events. I am doing mobile pizza and most of the bigger events do get "blanket" food permits for the event. You still have paperwork to fill out that goes to the county but the health permit is in the name of the event and not individually in each vendors name. Unfortunately doing it this way these types of events then are brought to the attention of the health department who always seem to come inspecting when you are busy. I have yet to get written up for anything, but it is frustrating when you have a line of people and have to stop making for a few minutes while they temp the product your make table and things like that.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Serf

Mate go for it! i was a chef for 12 yrs before i decided to do the very same thing. It has been hard but well worth it, msg me for any advice you need
Old 04-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lill Dave View Post
Regarding the Tsunami of food safty and health regulations.
Having done your home work with whatever county your dealing with would it be wise to concintrate on organized street fairs and other organized events , I heard they have something like a blanket food and health coverage that would make it easer to do the Wood Fired Pizz Oven.
Any comments would be greately appreciated.
Lill Dave
Hey Lill Dave
I run a food business in Olympia. I have heard of a blanket coverage but have never seen one in the local events. The Thurston County health department is as variable, ignorant, and nit-piky as any inbred goverment dept can be. The requirements vary from day to day depending upon which inspector you get and what mood they are in that day. I have been wrestling with them for 10 years. This year I gave up and I am using the dept of agricuture since they seem to be more reasonable.

Ok Rant over

You might want to check out the Lacey commumity market. The are the 1st or 2nd Saturday of each summer month. I don't think they have any pizza makers as of yet.

Bruce
Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Peasant

That's to bad about the health inspectors.
I had a simular experence with the Mason county building department when we built our house this last year, theres good ones and bad ones.
As far as I am concerned I'm going to try to be overly carefull.
Also look into the pizza co Veraci out of Balard , I saw them at the Mercer Island street fair and they were cranking out the Pizzas.
They use a black oven , no chimney.
Let me know when you are cooking and I'll try to stop by for a Pizza.
Lill Dave