Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Commercial Pizza Ovens

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Serf

Default Re: Coal Fired Brick Oven Construction

I think the big advantage of coal fired brick ovens is the heat. I've been to Pepe's about 20 times, including a new location in Yonkers, NY 3 or 4 times, and the one in Fairfield, CT 3 or 4 times. A waitress in Yonkers told me the ovens are at 650 degrees, but I think that's low. When you have intense heat, several things occur; the crust gets very crispy, but just as importantly, the food starts to break down. For sausage, pepperoni and cheese especially, that means they start to sweat first. So, when you get a pie at Pepe's, you get the best of both worlds, a crunchy crust, with oil dripping off. The exact opposite of what you get when you have cold pizza or pizza reheated in a microwave. With either of those, the oil is congealed, and not sweated out, and of course the crust has lost crunch. With gas ovens, you can't get the heat. With wood, not sure, but coal burns much hotter if desired, than wood can. It's just a fact that you can make coal ovens hotter. Coal has more BTU content. 1 lb. of anthracite has 12,700 BTU's, 1 lb. of hardwood has 7,870 BTU's.