Old 01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Certification Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCiliberto View Post
Mobile food unit must be entirely enclosed room with floor, walls, ceiling, windows, screens... and the oven inside.
Ben, How picky are they? - sound like you could drop that puppy inside of a camper shell and be golden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Journeyman

Just another stray thought that might allow you to adhere to the letter of the law. Do they require the oven to be inclosed or just the mouth of the oven. Maybe you could enclose the oven and have the entry on the outside. Pop up a screen tent next to the unit. Then you can have someone assembling pizzas in the unit. Pass them out via peel to the outside where you load it into the oven. Remove from the oven, pass back through the unit to the customer. The customer is welcome to move to the side to view the cooking process.

Bruce
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Serf

They are looking for units like this:

Custom Mobile Food Equipment

Custom Mobile Food Equipment

with the oven inside;

walls, floors, ceiling, all painted and cleanable. a mobile restaurant.

long way from an oven on a trailer and a screened in porch.

I'm going to investigate Archena's DOAg stuff more...

County inspector told me what I showed him would probably be fine in Philadelphia (25 miles away); I'd just need kevlar and security!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lovin my Oven

Ben Ciliberto, Doylestown Pa

Oven Pics Link-
Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Serf

Hi Ben,

I came across your thread through reading of the metal dome oven and you having the 500 gal propane tank. I've been dreaming up a similar idea for the last year, involving one of those large steel buoys as an oven mounted on a trailer. Much more fun to think about than the code... I'm interested if you have started work yet on your metal oven? What is the diameter of the tank dome? The buoy I'm looking at is 48" round. Should work I assume going for 48" across, 24" high...

john
Old 02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Serf

Hi John,

I have the truck, the tank cut up (42" diam dome), the wheel rim cut for the opening, and I have been on hold for 7 weeks due to weather and business. I'm working in an unheated barn, until it's been pretty bitter here until last weekend.

Also I had to root on our Philadelphia Eagles in the playoffs-- we served 1 people stromboli's and pizza at a pregame championship party (would have had no appetitie after the game ); i really enjoy serving up the pizza!

I'll get back to work soon, and I'll be posting pics. Wiley has provided some great advice-- he really had a great idea!

I figure if i have the mobile working by May that will be good.

The issues with the Health Department took a little steam; but i still want even if i can't have a business per se.

Lovin my Oven

Oven Pics Link-
Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Journeyman

Hmmm

could you get away with some kind of marque?
It says walls and floor etc.. but does it say they have to be rigid etc?

You could get a 12oz heavy canvas purpose built enclosure cheaper than a whole trailer/van type setup.

semantics are the red tape's worst enemy !!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Serf

Yes, keep us all updated when you get started. I did check Wiley thread and talked with him as well. Turns our we live about 30 min from each other! Lots of planning to do on my end still. Really like the idea of a steel oven on trailer, (Less moving parts, or parts than can move). Check Wiley's thread, I posted a pick of my Buoy (steel dome) and ideas of one dome inside the other. He went into detail on the welding bit. Are you doing two domes or single with cladding? I figure I will get an oven and then worry about health dept. Seems when I start thinking about working with them my creativity or momentum level drops...

thanks,
john
Old 02-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Serf

Hi John,
I know what you mean about dampening the creativity-- even in my area there's no issue with the health department if you are not planning a business using it. I'm doing 1 dome, donna cover with 2' of wire reinforced fireresistant crete (which will crack all over) 2" high temp fiber thermal blanket, then vermiculite and build a roof over the whole thing. will probably do a stone (thinset) face on front of oven.

IMHO we over detail quite a bit, hell they've been building ovens for centuries, even on horse carts-- course the carts didn;t go 50 mph, but the roads weren;t much eithr!

I like the dome, cause the oven won;t shake apart.

I'm gonna use precast 1 1/2" slabs sitting on cement board, with insulation under that. 1" split firebrick deck. lockin dome some how, and weld up a throat like Wiley's and use a insulated chimney pipe up through the roof with a spark cap.

or i'll change my mind ;-) and alter the plan.

it'll work, or i'll adjust it,

have a great day!!!!!!

Lovin my Oven

Oven Pics Link-
Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Serf

that's 2 inches of crete not feet

sloppy typist

Lovin my Oven

Oven Pics Link-