Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Commercial Pizza Ovens

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

installed all 11 pcs of soapstone tonight with a helper, (they are 130 lbs each !) I know I am going to catch all kinds of flack for my ash door, ...thermal loss, lack of incoming air control...etc, etc... but there it is, anyway. I will fill in the spaces with FB.

The soapstone cut easily and you can work it with hand tools, I used a block plane, chisel and knife !

Roger

Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Journeyman

That is a lot of thermal mass to heat up you have there. Once you get it up to temp, it is likely to stay there for a while. Very interesting build, massive scale compared to anything most of us are doing. I am glad you have a plentiful cheap source of firewood( you may have to resort to coal).
Eric
Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If I may ask, how tall is your entry arch going to be relative to your dome. It's looks kinda low considering the size of your oven.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 03-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Apprentice

The arch is 14" and the dome is 24" the dia 6-9", congrats on your first pizzas, btw. I was originally in the dark about the proper ratio of 63%, until one of my MIT friends, Thomas Massie, stopped by as I had the frames mocked up at 36". After a quick review of his Scott and Winger book, I lowered it to 24" dome height. Do you think this too low? Now is the time to change anything if I need to...going out tonight to start cutting the soldier course which will have the skew cut on the upper end.
Roger
Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

By diameter 6-9" do you mean 6'-9", as in six feet nine inches?

Okay, so 14" is reasonably close to 63% of 24" (a shave on the low side although I have no idea how sensitive these figures are). I guess you're just building a very low, flat oven relative to its diameter, good for pizza I suppose. I just would have expected such an enormous oven to have a fairly large entry way, but if it has a low dome, it should have a correspondingly low entry arch.

No, I'm not suggesting you did anything wrong. I am steadfast in my insistence that I have no authority on FB. I'm way too much of a novice to be telling other people what to do. I just thought it looked kinda low. Maybe it's fine for your design.

Thanks on the congrats. I'm so glad I got this far. It ain't done yet, but it was a huge milestone.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Apprentice

Yep, 6 feet 9 inches. I going for a low oven and fast bake times for pizza by combining the best of the pompei with the barrel, I just hope my dome support is stong enough to hold the low roof....lower being harder to hold up. I will rely on the "belt" around the oven to help, ala the Peter Moore Campanola oven build.

I appreciate the observations and feedbacks, I really do. I am not experienced at this, but have a butt-load of confidence...which makes me forge ahead into unknown areas with a 80% success rate, but the 20% failures are real "crash and burn" ugly! haha
Old 03-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Journeyman

81 and 24 is dead on the d/3.4 guidline for low domes. Forge ahead my friend!
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Apprentice

shuboyje,
please elaborate on that d/3.4 guideline....give me some background on that..

Hey, everyone....what is the minimum wall height, ie; the soldier course upon which the skew and dome starts? Is 4 to 5 inches too short, or do I really need 8 to 9 inches (full bricks)? I want the shortest wall possible in order to create the highest degree of angle for my 24" dome. The lower I start on the outside rim, the greater the angle to the top. I figure it's just going to be where I push the coals and small wood..thoughts?
thanks
Roger
Old 03-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Roger,

I built a 42 inch and made it a true radius. My first brick off the deck is 2.5 inches. Granted, I can't push a large piece of burning wood to the edge, but it has never been a problem. I think with your size it would be a non issue.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 PM

Yeah, I've never figured out what the soldier course is for. It's traditional, but to my mind it just makes it weaker. Your huge low dome is going to have a lot of side thrust, and putting it up on stilts is going to accentuate the problem.