Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Serf

Default Re: Where are all the fireplaces?

I just found more pictures of the build if anyone interested. I wish I had more of the early stages of the build. We backfilled with a perlite mixture for insulation purposes. We used a genuine rumford segmented throat, which cost about 65.00 per section. We used a total of three sections. The smoke chamber for some reason was very expensive, if I remember correctly it was in the neighborhood of 700.00. My brother opted to custom build the smoke chamber using left over half firebricks and a flue tile that was cut to fit the sides.
The fireplace is a 36" unit, I posted a picture of my wife standing inside just for a reference of the height and width. I was worried about smoking up the inside of the house, as thats what the old fireplace did. My fear was that we went through all of this hard work for nothing. I am glad to say, the fireplace works flawlessly. The draw up the chimney is incredible, no smoking at all. The room that it is in is fairly big, about 25 x 35 with a 13ft cathedral ceiling. The fireplace heats the entire room, actually, it overheats the entire room. In the middle of winter we can raise the room temp from 65 to about 78 in about an hour.
If you can build a pizza oven, this project is a piece of cake and well worth the effort. I would recommend this project to anyone, the end result is well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Where are all the fireplaces?-p3100387-small-.jpg   Where are all the fireplaces?-p3220389-small-.jpg   Where are all the fireplaces?-p4220418-small-.jpg  
Old 09-30-2009, 04:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

its a good looking fireplace... Do you find that the Rumford throws a lot more heat than a regular fireplace ?

Mark
Old 09-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Serf

Hi Mark,

Yes, I think the rumford design is great. I think I mentioned in the earlier post that the heat output is fantastic. The room where it is installed is a pretty good size with cathedral ceilings. I was considering some sort of an electric fan that would be built on the back side of the fireplace with ductwork to move some the heat into the room. I never did get around to building that, just had too much other stuff to do. My main concern was that with the size of the room and the cathedral ceilings. I was afraid the heat output wouldn't be enough to adequately heat the area. I am glad to say I was wrong. The shallow firebox and the radiant heat it gives off is very impressive.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

thenks for the input rt,, Im having thoughts for a future project,,,
Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 AM
Serf

can i order these fireplaces online??? thanks in advance...

source:soothingbeanbags.com/
Old 09-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Apprentice

If you go to my picasa page at, picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy ,you can see my fireplace to the right of my oven. We love sittin' by the fire after eating great pizza and other WTO foods! We're getting into fall here in New England and the fireplace extends our outdoor season!
Best to all,
Rick