Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Fireplace Design (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f36/)
-   -   Tandoor oven / Chimenea? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f36/tandoor-oven-chimenea-12929.html)

oasis786 05-14-2010 02:39 AM

Tandoor oven / Chimenea?

Currently drawing up plans to make a tandoor oven, but came accross this:

Santiago Medium Clay Chimenea, 5055025620158

With a door stuck on to the side, surely this is perfect for a tandoor oven? Skewers can fit in the top fine, however not sure if naan bread will stick or if it is big enough (or even safe) to put naan breads into.

Any opinions/thoughts?

Archena 05-14-2010 05:01 AM

Re: Tandoor oven / Chimenea?

Dunno. I wouldn't use it if not made in the US - there's no way to tell about the lead content. Not an issue for kabobs, particularly, but if you're baking bread on it then it's a real concern.

If you mean the kind of bread I think you do, then there's little difference. It needs something to stick to while it bakes. I would think the traditional tandoor would be better as it would be much easier to manage the bread.

SCChris 05-24-2010 07:18 AM

These little guys wouldn't really do what a tandoor will do. I have cracked a few of these I think mostly because of the lack of tollerance to quick heating, the're most often made of low quality, low fire clay. I suppose that you could do meat tandoor style, but keeping the heat up and even would be a real chore.

Chris

david s 05-25-2010 12:37 PM

Uninsulated= hot on the inside and cold on the outside = stress on the materials and highly prone to cracking.

Archena 05-25-2010 01:17 PM

How would you go about insulating that anyway?

SCChris 05-25-2010 01:52 PM

The Tandoors that I have seen are insulated, I think, but they're open on the top and on the side of the combustion chamber at the bottom. They have a load of thermal mass, but are decidedly less about holding the temps once the fire is out. I don't think a chimenea would have the mass to heat well and then hold the heat. I remember a few around here who cracked ceramic chimney flue pipes and the supposition was that it was uneven heating and those who had roughly the same setup with vermicrete surrounding these flues didn't have cracking. I think I'd go for the tandoor if you're going to use it. If not and you just want to try, build you fire slowly..

Best of luck to you and please keep us looped in.

Chris

Mitchamus 05-25-2010 03:37 PM

If you want to build a tandoor - there is a build log with pics here:

VillaGok tandoor oven

Archena 05-25-2010 06:52 PM

Cool link! Thanks!

GrahamG 06-16-2011 06:21 AM

Oasis,

Try this link Oil Drum Tandoor it tells you how to convert an old oil drum in to a tandoor - good luck.

Look for "damaged oil drums" as these are very cheap try gumtree seeing you are in the UK.

Mitchamus 06-16-2011 04:13 PM

great link - thanks for posting!