Old 10-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Serf

Default Re: Looking for acurate Rumford measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
The entire Rumford design, both regular and modified can be built with standard firebrick, no need to cast anything.

For dimensions and design of both: Rumford Fireplaces
If I don't have a cast throat section then I'd need a steel lintel to support the bricks ? Haven't seen any all brick ones on the rumford site, nearly all are the bought cast sections and a few who have cast their own.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Here is one I built for myself at home last year, no fancy cutting in the throat, it draws like a beauty and kicks out tons of heat.
FYI the opening is 1600mm wide and 900mm high at the the top of the intrados.
That's an awesome looking fireplace. How deep is it ?
Any chance you could draw one of your rough sketches of the throat design ( a X- section ) ??
Old 10-23-2013, 12:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamad View Post
That's an awesome looking fireplace. How deep is it ?
Any chance you could draw one of your rough sketches of the throat design ( a X- section ) ??
9 posts and you know of my rough sketches? How bizarre....

A rough one then it is.....
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for acurate Rumford measurements-flue.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-23-2013 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamad View Post
What mods ?
I'm planning on building an outdoor one, and will reduce the height of the opening slightly as per the rumford site.
Am also planning on casting my own throat and smoke chamber as postage to australia is exxy.
Would anyone with experience know what material would be best ?
Would a castable insulator be better than refractory material for example ?
seamad,

would be interesting to share notes on this. I have been experimenting with different heat resistant mixes myself over the years. A lot of the stuff that is readily available in the US is just ridiculously expensive over here (or not available at all)

Casting the throat can be a challenge in itself. The best approach I have found so far is explained here:
Richards Rammed Earth
Just build the fireplace out of brick and make the curved section of the throat out of ferrocement (chickenwire and rebar)
A mix of 1:2 portland cement/plaster sand on three layers of chickenwire is surprisingly heat resistant.

I have tried this myself (adding 0.5 part lime putty to a 1:3 portland/sand mix to make it easier to sculpt) and so far so good.

Here is some research into the fire resistant behaviour of ferrocement:
www.doaj.org/doaj?func=fulltext&aId=1465260‎

here is another forum discussion about alternative throat designs:
Casting Rumford Throat - Masonry - Contractor Talk

As for casting, I have not tried this yet but three sources on the web seem to confirm that this is the best homemade recipe:
Homemade furnace refractories
Making DIY Refractory For Your Foundry Furnace.

2/1.5/2/1.5 (fireclay/portland/silica sand/perlite)

But, in the examples given (foundry from melting metal) this mix is cast into a container and the final form is thick and solid. The throat on a rumford has thin, curved walls, so it can't be to brittle.

I would probably stick with the ferro cement, or, add some reinforcing metal mesh to your casting.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

thijs
Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
9 posts and you know of my rough sketches? How bizarre....

A rough one then it is.....
I've been a' lurkin awhile.
Thanks for the sketch, like you sailor soldier one the best
Old 10-23-2013, 12:37 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thijsatteiltje View Post
seamad,

would be interesting to share notes on this. I have been experimenting with different heat resistant mixes myself over the years. A lot of the stuff that is readily available in the US is just ridiculously expensive over here (or not available at all)

Casting the throat can be a challenge in itself. The best approach I have found so far is explained here:
Richards Rammed Earth
Just build the fireplace out of brick and make the curved section of the throat out of ferrocement (chickenwire and rebar)
A mix of 1:2 portland cement/plaster sand on three layers of chickenwire is surprisingly heat resistant.

I have tried this myself (adding 0.5 part lime putty to a 1:3 portland/sand mix to make it easier to sculpt) and so far so good.

Here is some research into the fire resistant behaviour of ferrocement:
www.doaj.org/doaj?func=fulltext&aId=1465260‎

here is another forum discussion about alternative throat designs:
Casting Rumford Throat - Masonry - Contractor Talk

As for casting, I have not tried this yet but three sources on the web seem to confirm that this is the best homemade recipe:
Homemade furnace refractories
Making DIY Refractory For Your Foundry Furnace.

2/1.5/2/1.5 (fireclay/portland/silica sand/perlite)

But, in the examples given (foundry from melting metal) this mix is cast into a container and the final form is thick and solid. The throat on a rumford has thin, curved walls, so it can't be to brittle.

I would probably stick with the ferro cement, or, add some reinforcing metal mesh to your casting.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

thijs
Bit of a thread hijack sorry.
Had a look at the chicken wire method awhile ago and thought it looked pretty simple.
For some reason my IP address is banned for contractor talk and I can't sign up, have tried a few times ans sent them a coupke of emails with no response.
Just started cutting some bricks for my wfo. Haven't finished the new deck for them both yet, missus wants it done for xmas
Will keep you up to date.
cheers

Tags
rumford