Old 01-13-2009, 05:32 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Fireplace/oven planning stage

It is an outdoor fireplace.

yes one offset flue would be possible, i just had 2 cause for some reason i have to have things symetrical.

The arch in the picture labled 'front' was actually an external one to dress it up a little but there is no reason why i cant build an arch in the top of the fireplace as well. it would sort of be a 1/2 dome top on it. Is this what you where refering to?

On another note i poured almost 5 cubic meters of concrete footings and piers this morning in preperation for my deck and outdoor kitchen

Cheers
James
Old 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM

It's worth reading up on outdoor fireplaces at rumford.com:

Outdoor Rumfords

There is an inherent problem with smoking with outdoor fireplaces, because they don't have the big indoor/outdoor temperature differential.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:38 AM
Apprentice

Yeah have read thoat one. Hopefully because of the design of the area that the fireplace is going it it won't be as much of an issue. The fireplace is going to be part of a deck which attached to the house and under cover. There is also going to be a wall about 1200mm high and 1500long on either side of the fireplace at right angles with the fireplace in the corner so it will be protected from breezes and the area should hold the heat fairly well.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Serf

Hey Bimbo -- Planning on doing something similar (only not in a corner). Would love to hear how your venture is going, see pictures, learn how your flue/s function, and generally from your efforts. Thanks, kat
Old 07-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Apprentice

I have just finished the oven and started the curing fires today. I would say it will probably be a few weeks till I get started on the fireplace but if you check out this thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-6820.html (James' deck, fireplace and 36inch oven) you will see the progress so far and I will continue to update it as I get more done.

Cheers
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Serf

Thanks for the link, James -- you make it look easy! Will keep checking in on your progress, & thanks for the inspiration --
k.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Apprentice

Fire place is done now and picks and a short description are now in my build thread.