Old 05-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Firepit?

Nice........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Master Builder

Very nice work, are you using a plasma cutter or a laser cutter? and is it hand guided or CNC?

Wiley
Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Very nice work, are you using a plasma cutter or a laser cutter? and is it hand guided or CNC?

Wiley
Still doing it the old fashion way, drawing the scenes with soap stone and while I do have a plasma cutter I prefer to use a oxy/act torch. Everything thing is done by my hands except rolling the 16"x36"x 1/4" ring.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Serf

I am working on one and will line a high-heat mortar cast fire pit from StoneAge products out of Oklahoma with full sized firebrick on the bottom (with a weep hole out the side and down-sloped so moisture can escape), and what is called "splits" - half-sized in thickness fire brick around the interior to the top. I am using a product for setting the firebrick called FLuSet - moratr that can handle up to 2500 degree F (so they say - we will see).Then mortar rock veneer onto the exterior. We have some pretty significant temperature swings here in Nebraska, so I am expecting to get some cracks. I am going to use a highly adhesive/flexible mortar made with a latex additive from Mapei (Kerabond w/Keraflex additive) to mortar the rock veneer onto the exterior to help tolerate the temperature variations throughout the year best as may be possible.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Laborer

I went with a natural gas fired fire pit..... it saves the wood for the pizza oven and it makes it pain (and smell) free to start and stop a fire with is especially important in our fire prone Arizona
Attached Thumbnails
Firepit?-fire-pit.jpg  
Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Serf

Just curious... why did you choose to put the fire ring and rocks so deep into the pit. I have just finished my gas firepit and was thinking of having the fire ring and lava rocks near the top. Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Laborer

Because I didn't know any better I am "planning" on raising it up another 6"-8" (by just adding a longer threaded nipple), removing the lava rock, and essentially filling the whole pit with white play sand. My neighbor has this setup and it looks soooo much better than the lava rock. I might even add the glass stones on top of the sand but since that stuff is so expensive......I doubt it.

Whatever you do.....Just make sure that the holes of the ring face down so that water doesn't get into the pipe.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Serf

dtrbovich... Thanks for the heads up on facing the ring down. Might have made a mistake on that. My pit looks very much like yours. I plan on having the lava rocks almost flush with the top and then making some sort of hard cover for the top when not in use so it would look like a table.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:21 AM

Tex,

Very cool. Good job!

Heidi
FB
Old 01-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Laborer

Bama, have you built it yet?