Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Fireplace Design (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f36/)
-   -   concrete fireplace - outdoor (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f36/concrete-fireplace-outdoor-18894.html)

murrki 01-30-2013 06:57 PM

concrete fireplace - outdoor

Hi, I am in the process of building an outdoor fireplace but am struggling to get the dimensions i would like out of bricks and wondering if i can build a fireplace entirely out of reinforced concrete by making my own mould/formwork. Part of my thinking is to eliminate the need for firebricks to reduce costs.

Does anyone have any experience with a smiliar project?

I am also unsure if concrete can handle the temperatures in an outdoor fireplace?

Any advice appreciated
Thanks

Tscarborough 02-01-2013 12:13 PM

Re: concrete fireplace - outdoor

Concrete explosively decomposes at fire temperatures, so you can do it but it needs to be lined with firebrick up to the damper.

Laurentius 02-16-2013 06:55 PM

Why don't you really save money and time. Make a fire pit!

murrki 02-17-2013 02:51 PM

Thanks for the advice stonecutter, i am a novice at this.. Do you think a fireplace made out of refractory concrete without rebar in it will hold together with out cracking? I had planned on building the form work and pouring it in 4 seperate pours

Cheers

Tscarborough 02-17-2013 03:06 PM

I think it needs to be in segments (pre-engineered cracks). A monolithic refractory structure is almost certain to fail.

stonecutter 02-17-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 145792)
I think it needs to be in segments (pre-engineered cracks). A monolithic refractory structure is almost certain to fail.

What he said.

It would be helpful to you if the segments had a lap joint to help lock the segments together.

brickie in oz 10-30-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qqueen (Post 162335)
Hi, building a fireplace on your own can be rather difficult. you can go for a firepit instead its easier, less costly and takes less time.

Two posts and two links to your company selling patios and related stuff.

To spam or not to spam that is the question.

Maybe they wont notice? :rolleyes:

Andresfilley 03-28-2014 08:31 AM

i think its more convenient to build it out of brick rather than concrete, it doesn't perform in high temperatures

oakley 04-09-2014 07:02 PM

I was wondering if you could get away with using thin bricks
and high temp mortar to build an outdoor insert
when using a propane firelog set and make the block fireplace
ventless????