Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Bricks suitable for fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbo View Post
Might see if i can get thinner firebricks which i would assume would be cheaper.
Unfortunately they will likely be more expensive...at least they are here...for us they end up to be about twice as much for the "splits"
Good luck!
Dutch
Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 AM
Apprentice

after much reading on the net I have found that i can use dry pressed clay bricks. because it will not be subject to the same intens heat that a pizza oven is you can use the pressed clays instead of firebricks, this is what all older fireplaces are made from.

ordering a bunch of them tomorrow and then next weekend construction of the fireplace begins
Old 03-24-2009, 09:54 AM

If it does crack or spall, you can always get the cast-iron fireback later.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Serf

You might want to look into a cob or clay oven instead of brick if firebricks are to expensive. I will be using firebricks for the floor and a clay dome myself since a 100lb bag of clay is less then 20 dollars and firebricks are 1.50 each.

I also am planning to have a fireplace under the oven for non-oven nights and that will require firebrick and high temp concrete/mortar so my budget can not take more for the oven. :}

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 AM
Serf

Would old fire bricks from an internal fireplace from a 1920s bungalow be suitable for pizza oven?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandylee View Post
Would old fire bricks from an internal fireplace from a 1920s bungalow be suitable for pizza oven?
Youll get more response if you start your own thread rather than tacking your question onto the end of a 2 year old thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Apprentice

Well I have finally finished my fireplace . I ended up using mainly leftover bricks from the pizza oven and I went to the place that sells refactory stuff and they had a bunch of damaged 300mmx30mmx50mm bricks which I bought and used for the top part and roof of the fireplace. Lit it up last night and even though the outside temp was 30c it still drew really well and the only time it puffed smoke was when a stiff breeze blew.

Cheers
James