Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Outdoor Kitchens and Living Rooms > Outdoor Kitchen Design

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Sydney Outdoor Kitchen

More progress photos:

We have now completed the metal roof and the Indian minor birds were straight in their trying to build their nest...damn nuisances !!!

Drop box for flue has been installed though the roof and the dektite flashing also fitted.

I've mortared the flue manifold section and the front brick arch. Next up...dome insulation and render time !!
Attached Thumbnails
Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-roof.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-manifold.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-frontarch.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-sidearch.jpg  

Bruno

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Laborer

I completed the dome insulation and chicken wire today. Hot (33 degrees here today) and itchy work.

Ended up with 3 layers of 25mm blanket.

Progress photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-startinsulation.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-1stlayer.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-2ndlayer.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-3rdlayer.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-scraps.jpg  

Bruno

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Laborer

More photos. I've inserted cardboard around flue and behind front brick arch that will be removed prior to the render fully setting to create an expansion joint that I will fill with high temp silicone.
Attached Thumbnails
Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-wirefront.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-wireback.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-cardboard1.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-cardboard2.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-cardboard3.jpg  

Bruno

Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Laborer

Completed the render today using a 4-1-1 mix (Sharp sand-off white cement - lime). I added oxide and reinforcement fibres to the mix for added strength. Depending on how the colour turns out once dried out, i might have to cover it with paint to make the boss happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-mud.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-startrender.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-sidehalf.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-frontrender.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-roughside.jpg  

Bruno

Old 11-07-2012, 01:39 AM
Laborer

Final Render photos
Attached Thumbnails
Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-smoothback.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-sidecomplete.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-archexpansion.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-flueexpansion.jpg   Sydney Outdoor Kitchen-finishrender.jpg  

Bruno

Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bruno,
It is a good idea to wrap the whole thing up to retain moisture for a week. This will help it achieve maximum strength. I find cling wrap works really well. nice job on the rendering by the way.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Peasant

Hi Bruno,
How many wheelbarrows full of render did you use and how thick did you put it on?
Looks great by the way.

Chris..
Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Laborer

Hi Chris,

I ended up using about two and a half wheelbarrows (of the quantity in my photo). I made sure the thinnest coverage was 1 inch. Although in some areas its uo to two inches for the sake if aesthetics and symmetry. I had a picture in my head and luckily it turned out pretty much as envisaged.

Bruno

Old 11-07-2012, 10:27 PM
Laborer

Thanks David. I used the reinforcement fibres as advised and I noticed this morning that the render is covered in a "fuzz" from the fibres sticking out of the render.

Are these a concern?. Will they break off ? or do I need to do something to remove them?.

BTW, I'll probably end up painting the outside as my wife isnt happy with the colour.

Bruno

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't worry about them. I presume you mean the really fine polypropylene fibres which are finer than human hair? You can just paint over them after about 10 firings when you know all the moisture has gone.

Last edited by david s; 11-08-2012 at 11:34 PM.