Old 10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Posts to support roof

Any tips on what you used to seal them with? I would much rather do that than use treated pine and try to disguise it as a cedar post!

Thanks,
Travis
Old 10-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Peasant

I just used some sealer/stain from Home Depot, not quite clear but with a slight color added. I wanted to keep the cedar look.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:31 AM
Serf

Suggestion

Dig a hole for each post about 2 foot square by 2 foot deep.

drive a steel peg (reo bar) to set height about 6 inch above bottom of hole and pour concrete up to top of pin.

Use a steel post 4" x 4" (RHS) with a 6" plate to top and bottom and concrete in to ground level.

Will not move and will support whatever superstructure you want to build on it.

I have used this several times and haven't lost one in a storm yet.

regards

Dave Ly
Old 12-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Use a steel post 4" x 4" (RHS) with a 6" plate to top and bottom and concrete in to ground level."

I second the use of steel posts. They are also more fireproof, which is always a consideration for anything built near a wood fired oven.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Peasant

Having been a builder for longer than I want to admit (now trying to get a woodfired pizza place off the ground) I would go with the 8x8. The stirrup type hardware should work fine especially if you use the type cast into the concrete and then the post is bolted in with 5/8" bolts. Just make sure to put a footing under each post.

Build a large 2 story obsevation deck for a tennis club on the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain in LA using this method. We did add a grade beam between everyother footing far as I know it's still there.

If you use the cedar posts below grade you can treat them with good old roofing tar. Just make sure to set them on a concrete pill (available at most builders supplies) Thne you can pour your slab around them in a single pour.

Tried to attach a photo of the observation deck not sure if it worked
Attached Thumbnails
Posts to support roof-francos3.jpg  
Old 03-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I would expect that this type of structure will fall under your local building code requirements.

Check with your local building department for advice.

If the structure fails and injures someone, I would not like to be the one who has to explain to the insurance company that you built it following the advice of some antonymous internet posters.

This site is a great source for info on oven building, but is not necessarily a place to seek structural engineering advice.

Last edited by Neil2; 03-12-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Peasant

You will find that building codes (except fire codes) are pretty much the same nationally for this type of structure. As someone who has bulit such structures on what is probably THE worst dirt in the world for structure support (southern LA) IF the OP follows the basic advice I gave he and his structure will be fine. Yes he will have to get a permit to build as it will be over $500 cost for the structure. Thye will tell him what they would like to see according to their interpretation of the code. Pole buildings are built around the country with both methods I mentioned. Makes it pretty much a proven fact that this method works.

Now to address the diagonals question. Much of the wracking that can occur in such a structure can be taken care of with knee braces such as you would see in a timberframed building. Has been done this way for hundreds of years and many such structures still stand.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Peasant

Not trying to be a smart guy, but this post was started in 2008, I would think and hope Travis has built the structure by now four years later?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Apprentice

Good catch!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM
Peasant

OK smart guy I didn't look at the orginal post date