Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pergola design for shade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluttropp View Post
I dont know if I am a little late on this one but I would suggest redwood rather than the painted pressure treated lumber.
The farther east you go, the harder it is to find (affordable) redwood. None of our HD's or Lowe's carry it here in KY. It would have to be special ordered making it prohibitively expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Serf

I built mine from Kiln dried redwood and it was like buying gold bricks! you might consider a sunshade sail if you are covering a large area. They look pretty cool, but they do require some significant anchoring for wind loading.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Serf

Our neighbours built a pergola, and thatched it with palm fronds (they also happen to have several large palm trees). It gives their backyard a distinctively "tropical island" look.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurik View Post
Our neighbours built a pergola, and thatched it with palm fronds (they also happen to have several large palm trees). It gives their backyard a distinctively "tropical island" look.
I thought of doing that several years ago but I live in a high fire zone area so I scrapped that idea. Besides, it could be a code violation in my city. I never bothered to check with the city.

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO
Old 01-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Laborer

Here's a couple of pics of my cedar Pergola.
Attached Thumbnails
Pergola design for shade?-img_1106.jpg   Pergola design for shade?-img_1107.jpg  

Old 02-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Peasant

Here are a couple of photo's of my pergola. I don't know if it will help give you any idea's as I designed this while building my house.
As soon as you walk out the kitchen/dining area, your straight in the pergola which if TOTALLY enclosed and has 3 sliding doors to exit as its 37 feet wide by 20 feet deep.

NOTE: The first photo shows from outside the pergola looking in
The second photo shows how you walk straight from the kitchen/dining area straight into the pergola.
The last photo shows a waterfall my father built (HUGE JOB) as its real granite rock. The waterfall sits outside the pergola but while sitting in the middle of the pergola your looking directly at the waterfall. It is only 6 feet away from the center sliding door of the Pergola.

P.s. The pergola is LOVELY in Winter, Autumn, Spring but in Summer you cook in there, it is shocking to say the least in summer.

Regards
Dean
Attached Thumbnails
Pergola design for shade?-outside-looking-into-pergola-_5_1.jpg   Pergola design for shade?-inside-pergola_8_1.jpg   Pergola design for shade?-waterfall.jpg  

Last edited by Wheels1974; 02-02-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview WFO View Post
Here's a couple of pics of my cedar Pergola.
I am LATE to this thread but this is AWESOME.