Old 04-02-2008, 11:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Outdoor sink

We just ran cold water to our sink from the garden water line nearby.

I don't think you'll use a lot of water and suggest a simple drain nearby would be fine.....maybe a length of sewer pipe in sand? It's only some greywater which should be recycled anyway.

XJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tiempo para guzarlos.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...enjoy every sandwich!
Old 04-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Laborer

I'm going to stick in my two cents and say that a sink is invaluable. We put in an old single bowl cast iron coated sink that extends up in the back about 14 inches where the faucet is mounted. I will say though that it is located at the edge of the patio by the house. I bored thru the foundation and have both hot and cold water. But after working in the yard and garden it provides a place to wash. When harvesting vegetables they get rinsed outside first. Dishes are rinsed when cooking outdoors. And when the oven is built it will be within 5 feet of the oven providing additional counter space.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Apprentice

I'm glad that I had the foresight to run a water line out to my project site. I think a sink would be invaluable while tending fires and handling raw meat. I notice how many times I use the sink indoors to wash my hands while cooking. Not to mention the ability to clean up dishes and cutting boards on site.

When I'm outside I want to stay outside. I dont want to keep running back & forth to the house.

The granite sink looks beautiful, James. I wouldnt want to pay the freight bill, though. When will you have an east coast facility??!!

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Apprentice

I think a sink is a must. We purchase a handmade copper sink in Mexico last year just for this project. Just to wash your hands, which I seem to do a lot and keep the counters wiped down. You can get a instant heater for the water which has no tank if you wish.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Journeyman

I have to agree with a sink being an almost requirement. I wouldn't spend a bundle doing it however. I am very quick to wash my hands frequently while handling food. Lucky for me the site I have chosen will be easily accessible for water and sewer. But for those who do not have access to a water supply easily. A garden hose can be easily connected and removed when not in use. A 5 gallon bucket will handle most of the water usage and for the rough times when a lot of water is used a marine sump pump with a remote level float works great in the bucket. A plastic 55 gallon drum will hold a massive amount and can be easily moved to safe area and dumped with the aid of a hand dolly. "or" You can just pop the end of the garden hose in the drum and turn the water on and when the bubbles stop turn off faucet and disconnect hose and allow it to siphon to a safe area. Btw the grey water from a sink is good for flower gardens just dont use any harsh chemicals in the sink. Also you can get small demand water heaters for a decent price. They are a simple inline connection and usually operate on normal current available on most sites.

My 44" oven in progress...

Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Apprentice

The reason I wouldn't install one is that I don't have time to wash anything while I'm cooking. I keep a dish of water at the bottom of my work station where I can rinse off my hands. But looking at some of the outdoor kitchens that people post, people do install them I think you could now supply everthing AND the kitchen sink at Forno Bravo.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma View Post
James. I wouldnt want to pay the freight bill, though. When will you have an east coast facility??!!
James, If you had other facilities, would the freight be much cheaper on this stuff? Say in Chicago...I'd drive down for some flour!!
Old 05-17-2008, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Outdoor sink

I have plans in at the local council at present and I plan on putting in a sink int the outdoor kitchen.
Sorry James, but I would not consider one of those sinks as I believe they are far less practical than a stainless sink with single drainer.
Not being trendy, and having something 'fashionable', I included the sink as it will join onto the existinf concrete bench with the sewer pipe easily connected beneath it through one of the inspection points. I plan on cold water initially but will consider hot if I can find an inexpensive instantaneous gas heater. I also plan on extending the natural gas line to the patio and could take off a line to heat the water which is already there.
Cost is also important as the whole setup can cost thousands which in my case would be hard to justify.
I appreciate that stainless does't have the character, nor appeal for some people, but let's face it, it does the same thing, ie. used for washing things.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 05-17-2008, 05:04 AM
Laborer

I agree Neill that cost is an important factor. And there's not a thing wrong with stainless, concrete, marble,copper or any other material. Its all atter of personal taste. My cast/porcelin sink was originally in my grandmothers kitchen in the 50's; then in the basement as a utility sink and is now outside in a homebuilt cabinet with a tile counter top. not high dollar by any stretch. But very functional and my wife and i think it looks great.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Laborer

I must have missed this post, anywayz for me i would put that 1 in tomorrow. The only downfall i can see is the shipping to Aus for me.

Either way a stone sink is going in when i do my outdoor kitchen.