Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Kitchen Design (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/)
-   -   Outdoor sink (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/outdoor-sink-2081.html)

Unofornaio 06-11-2007 08:07 PM

Outdoor sink

Hi all,

Browsing though the photos I see a lot of sinks incorporated into the outdoor areas. I was wondering, of those that have sinks in their setup how much do you really use it? My build site is about 10-12 feet from the door that leads to the kitchen and I'm thinking I really don't need a sink outside since its that close.
Any thoughts will be appreciated
J.P
The set: as of today...it could change as it has many times already:rolleyes:
Custom Gas B.B.Q
Wood B.B.Q
2 pot burners
Deep fryer
Mini Frig?

RTflorida 06-11-2007 08:35 PM

Re: Outdoor sink

JP,

Agree with you on the sink. I don't have one and really don't see a big need.
On the off chance I do need to rinse my hands, I have a gargen hose about 20' away:p I don't do any outdoor prep work (too damn hot and humid 5 months of the year), that may be why I don't see the need.

As for the grills - A MUST
Frig - A MUST (I have to have a beer during fire building)
What the heck....go for the whole plan (the BOSS cut a few of my ideas), always plan for more than you want; that way you can at least end up with the things that mean the most.

RT

jahysea 06-11-2007 10:11 PM

Well.. To offer a differen opinon. I've had an outdoor BBQ/fireplace far from the inside kitchen with no sink, and now have an outdoor kitchen close to the indoor kitchen (20 feet tops).

I use my outside sink a LOT and would prioritize it ahead the burners and the fridge, behind the grill and wood oven. In fact, I plan to add a disposal to that sink, an oversight in the original plan.

I use the sink to wash dishes, glasses, hands, grill tools, pizza paddles, you name it. I also use it as the designated sink for cleaning paint brushes, tools, etc. I put in the deepest one I could find for that reason.

If you are on a raised foundation and can place the sink on an outside wall to your home, plumbing is not a big problem. If not, I could understand the reluctance to install, could get expensive getting plumbing in place.

RTflorida 06-11-2007 10:32 PM

cost was another deciding factor. The majority of FL homes are on a slab - consierable cost and effort to add any plumbing. My closest water access would have involved cutting my 2 yr old pool deck, then patching and trying to match the finish....I had to agree with my wife on this one, no way.

I did have the foresight to have a utility sink (paint brushes and such) installed in my garage when the house was built but never thought I'd need any 'outside' plumbing.

Unofornaio 06-12-2007 05:03 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I'm still riding the fence on this one..Hook up is not a problem and I was gonna make the sink out of some left over granite pieces from a job so cost isn't really an issue and no spousal unit:p ..I paid for that mistake years ago (technically I think I'm still paying attorney related fees somewhere) best money I ever spent..and I sleep better knowing that I'm sure I created a nice college fund for my attorneys child:mad:
I don't know..I'll think and plan it to death and then one day just get a hair up my butt and do it..
Its my constant battle of right brain and left brain...I know, I know :rolleyes: they have medication for that :D
thanks guys
J.P

Hendo 06-12-2007 07:39 PM

A small (12" dia) stainless steel sink was reasonably important for me, not only to rinse glasses etc, but also to wash my hands to save having to go inside. I know my wife will be happy with less mess in the bathroom or laundry sink!

But I'm not going to the expense of plumbing it into my sewer system - just a waste pipe to a small gravel-filled bottomless concrete tank in the garden. A stocking over the end of the pipe should catch any solids.

It's only grey water after all, and as long as I can access the tank to empty the stocking periodically, and use eco-friendly detergent & liquid soap, I don't foresee any problems.

Paul.

oventhusiast 06-12-2007 08:06 PM

Hi All!
I'm putting a sink in as well! I'm guessing everyone is just putting in a cold water supply. (I am) I put a pipe in connected to a dry well and I'm going to put some sort of filtration 'thingy' in the drain pipe so no 'stuff' gets into the ground.
Best to all,
Rick

Hendo 06-13-2007 12:55 AM

Yep, at this stage just cold water is all I plan to have. But in case I change my mind, I've got a natural gas supply right there - for an instantaneous gas hot water service. These days, they don't even have a pilot light, so no wasted gas while it's waiting to be used! But I doubt I'll ever go down that path - I don't think the tree roots would respond well to the hot waste water!

swripley 06-13-2007 06:57 AM

I too am including a sink. Like Hendo I just used a dry well. Much to my surprise I got the blessing of the city building department for it. I got a really nice 23" square 10" deep stainless steel sink on eBay for $8.99. Shipping costs were high but still a really good deal. I hooked the cold water supply up to my sprinkler system main line so when I blow out the sprinklers in late fall I will blow out the sink line at the same time (important consideration in Montana). I also have a gas line near by if I decide I have to have hot water, but figured I would give it at least a season or two before I make that determination.

Sharon

Richie 06-13-2007 01:12 PM

I'm on my second outdoor kitchen. Sink in both. First one had a small "bar-type" sink with only cold water draining into a french drain. When I built my second one in the new house, I plumped in hot water, plumped it into the sewage system and put in a big deep 26" sink. I use mine all the time. It's also great for cleaning up after working in the yard.

I am now kicking myself for not putting in a dishwasher

One reason not to run back and forth from the inside kitchen is the AC bill during the summer here in Houston. For you guys with a great climate, not a big deal I suppose.